Sunday, January 1, 2017

A More Perfect Union

3The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?” 4And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who amade them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ 5“and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6“So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.” 7They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?” 8He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9“And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”
Matthew 19: 3 - 9 NKJV

It seems that lately I've been surrounded by stories of marital unrest from a few of my friends.  Now even though I've never been married myself, I still feel for my friends and what they are going through in their lives.  I've also been on the opposite side of this issue, as my own parents were divorced when I was young.  I'm here to tell you that from a childs perspective, the wounds of a divorce seldom if ever heal.  From the stories that I hear from my dear friends, I can see why that is so.  If I had not been through this situation myself, it would be difficult for me to understand just how two people who vowed to love one another forever could suddenly come to the conclusion that being apart is better than being together.  Hearing so many stories of troubled marriages just might make one wonder Gods attitude towards such situations.  Well, we can turn to the very words of Jesus for that answer.  Yes, Christ Himself spoke out on the subject of marriage as well.  It should be no surprise, then, that when He did He spoke not His opinion but the very thoughts of His Father in heaven.  Of course, leave it to the Jewish Pharisees to initiate that discussion.  The Pharisees inquired of Jesus if it was indeed lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason.  Now, it may just be my interpretation here, but I think that if the Pharisees were asking this question, that this type of divorce was ALREADY HAPPENING in the Jewish society of Christs day.  Indeed, divorce is not just a modern day society issue.

I know living with me ain't always easy
I damn up emotions some may just let flow
But girl when you're not by my side
I feel a part of me has died
Cause I love you more than you'll ever know
~More than you'll ever know~ by Travis Tritt

As He usually did, Jesus had a slam dunk response to the Pharisees who tried to trap him in their questions, and it was straight from the word.  As we read in Matthew 19, from the very begining our heavenly Father created us male and female and for this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife.  And the two shall become one flesh, and what God has joined together...let no man seperate.  Isn't it interesting, then, that these very words which Jesus spoke in response to the Pharisees are to this day included in most every marriage ceremony?  What God has joined together, let no man seperate.  These Pharisees weren't finished there, however, They continued to stick it to Jesus.  Their next question?  Why did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce to put a mans divorced wife away?  Again Jesus' response was spot on.  Because of the HARDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS, Moses had permitted the people to divorce their wives, but from the begining it was not so.   So, as usual, the snake pit we as a society find ourselves in today is one of our own doing.  Is it any wonder, then, that our local yellow pages are all too often filled with offers for "Quick and easy" $99 divorces?  I recall inquiring of Dennis not so long ago just how he and his wife Shirley had managed to remain together for over 50 years.  His response?  Divorce was never an option.
I recently shared with Dennis a link to a music video for a Travis Tritt song titled "More than you'll ever know."  It was a song I listened to a few days after my mothers passing, for different reasons.  In it a elderly man struggles to come to grips with his own emotions and showing them to his wife of many years.  It is certainly a powerful message given through this song.  May the hardness of our own hearts never get in the way of what our heavenly Father has brought together.

~Scott~

No comments: