Sunday, February 11, 2018

Learning To Listen



7For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1: 7  NKJV

Like most people, I hate stressful situations.  It is times like these where I feel out of control and on a island all by myself.  This week was no exception as I set out to purchase a new vehicle.  Now, obviously this meant that I would need to travel into the realm of evey Tom, Dick and Harry salesman in the area just in order to find the best deal.  Some were helpful, while others plied their trade like true predators.  It's no wonder that car salesmen have rightly earned their reputations as those who would take advantage of others.  Now, I'm not saying that ALL salesman are like that, but I personally ran into more than a few who were.  Thankfully, I was aided in my quest by a friend who seems to take enjoyment out of the challange of dealing with these guys.  That was a comfort for sure.  Nevertheless, I came away from this experience with a new understanding of what it means to be patient and to listen.  Not only did I need to listen to the advice of my friends, but to that still voice in my own heart as well.  The comment was made to me as I struggled with my anxiety over this process that perhaps it was my spirit within me that was somehow trying to warn me of impending danger ahead.  Now, I would accept this as valid had I not heard a sound piece of advice from a trusted freind.  When I mentioned to him that perhaps those fears and anxieties I was experiencing were due to my heavenly Father whispering His warnings to me he calmly said to me that God "Never whispers in fear."  Amen brother.  Somehow through my experience I had gotten sidetracked of just who I was.  Indeed, many others may become sidetracked by the fears and anxieties which life lays on us, but as christians we don't have to see things this way.  For we know that above all, God is Love {1 John 4:8}.  It is His love which rescued us from our former sin condition that we would be saved {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  Any way you look at it, God is love and it is His love that He surrounds us in each day.  Love is who God is and what He does.  Knowing this, can we seriously tell ourselves that He would suddenly reverse course and become that God of the old testament once again?  No, for we know that Christ Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever {Hebrews 13:8}.  He is unchanging and unwavering.

5Let your bgentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. 6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;7and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 5 - 7 NKJV

I once read a account of a Vietnam war F-4 fighter pilot who, after returning from his third mission of the day failed to recognize the base he had called home for so many months.  In fact, he would have bypassed it entirely had not some slick talking air controller reeled him in.  Why is this important?  What does this have to do with my own experience?  Simple, when we are surrounded by the stresses and fears of life we may do things which we normally wouldn't do.  Be it  some form of active PTSD or simply being too focused on our situation at hand, we may all too often make that mistake of forgetting who it is we are.  Who is it that we are?  Well, simply put, we are Jesus {Galations 2:20}.  We must remember that in those times when we need Him the most, that we will "know" that voice of Christ Jesus who lives through us.  I lost my way a bit this week.  That doesn't mean that Jesus suddenly withdrew Himself from me or that He responded in anger at my foolishness, that's not what He does people.  Remember, God is love, and condemnation is NOT in the love of Christ Jesus.  Simply put, like that wayward F-4 pilot, there are times when we listen to the wrong voices.  In this case, I heard that voice of the spirit of error (satan) in the background.  When we know the truth of Christ, we will certainly put aside those suggestions of the accuser whenever they come up.  Jesus will never condemn.  Jesus will never approach Gods children out of fear or confusion.  What that Spirit of Christ in us WILL do is speak to us out of love, kindness and forgiveness.  That is who He always has been.

3and every spirit that does not confess athat Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. 4You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.5They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
1 John 4: 3 - 6 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: