Saturday, March 31, 2018

Learning To Live Worry Free



25“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?26“Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27“Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 28“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29“and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30“Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32“For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
Matthew 6: 25 - 32 NKJV

Some time ago I noticed something peculiar about my own work habits as they related to the all too common workplace drama we all face.  I noticed that whenever there would be one distraction or another popping up that I would somehow find it that much easier to concentrate on what I was doing in that moment.  Now, this may totally go against all known wisdom in that these distractions didn't keep me from my work.  On the contrary, I became that much more focused.  Now, I would love to claim that I ran my own personal life he very same way, but it wasn't like that at all.  For when the trials and tribulations of everyday life would knock on my door, I would all too often be a nervous wreck.  Go figure.  I mean, does not Jesus tell us in the beatitudes not to worry ourselves with these distractions of veryday life?  Yet we continue to fall into much worry and fret whenever these pitfalls come knocking.  This week Wayne Jacobsen told of his recent conversations with a few profesional athletes who shared with him some pretty interesting conversations.  It seems that these stars of the sporting world found it easier to relax and be at ease when they were not in competition trying to control the outcome of their respective contests.  Imagne that.  Now, the jobs of these athletes may be different than my own, but in some ways they are the same.  Where I am prone to deal with my own workplace drama, these guys will often deal with the stresses of competition, fans and a often unforgiving media.  I can totally see how one would be that much more relaxed when not in such a environment.  I've often found that when I need to recharge my own batteries from time to time I am prone to be that much more relaxed when the worries of my everyday life are far behind.  It is in these moments that I am free to focus on what is truly important.

28“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30“For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Matthew 11: 28 - 30 NKJV

How is it that we can learn to live relaxed?  Is there such a thing?  Well, I never used to believe that this was possible until I Christ Jesus was made known to me.  See, I believe that the reason that Jesus tells us not to worry is that when we release the worries and cares of the world to Him, that we are then free to live a life free of worry.  Much like the athlete who finds relaxation away from the pressures of his own occupation, so also can we find peace when we place our lives unto Christ.  The apostle Paul tells us that it is Jesus Himself who lives through us today {Galations 2:20}.  Knowing this, when we rest in the knowing that all we do and experience we do AS Jesus, then we shall surely experience that peace His peace that surpasses all understanding {Philippians 4:7}.  Think of how much easier life is when we are free from whatever stresses and problems may come our way.  How much easier is it to simply say, "you got this Jesus."  It is easy, because we ARE Jesus.  I cannot recall but a very few times in His own life when Jesus allowed that which was going on around Him to affect Him personally.  We know that Jesus wept, became angry and that His own soul became exceedingly sorrowful leading up to His crucifiction.  However, when we hear the name Jesus we also think of peace, tranquility and not of anxiety.  No, we are told to be anxious for nothing {Philippians 4:6-7}.  When we allow ourselves to rest in His presence, we will find that peace and relaxation are not as far away as we once thought.

6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;7and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 6 - 7 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: