Sunday, June 24, 2018

Walking Papers



23And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men,We can do our jobs for Christ, 24knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ. 25But he who does wrong will be repaid for what he has done, and there is no partiality.
Colossions 3: 23 - 25 NKJV

I came across a article this week from a cranky pulpit pounder who was bemoaning the fact that many in his church had grown tired and weary of attending church.  Therefore, those who were in turn serving God and doing the traditional work of the church were diminishing.  Indeed, there is that mindset in the modern institutional church that we are to put our best efforts out there to show Gods love unto the world.  Well, the solutuion this pulpit pounder came up with to deal with ever declining church attendance was...to quit church.  That's right, we're to give up going if we are not going to do Gods work.  Now, most who have read this page know that I am not a huge fan of the institutional church in the first place.  In fact, the article this guy wrote only confirms the very reason why I myself left the church.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear a sunday sermon proclaim that as Christ Jesus lives through us, we ourselves show the love of God each and every day {Galations 2:20}.  Indeed, the world never would have known the love of God if not for Christ Jesus {John 14:9}.  We are, in fact, but vessels for the Spirit of Christ Jesus who lives through us.  So, how is it that we are not doing the work of God if He is working through us in all we do?  Of course, this was coming from a institutional pulpit pounder.  I get it.  There have been many times I have heard the call from the pulpit that as Gods children we need to step up to the plate and do Gods work in our own community.   Well, I would counter to say that each time we reach out to someone we ARE doing Gods work.  Is not Christ Jesus living through us?  Everything we see and experience we do as Christ.  Indeed, I would expect some push back from from many church goers for even proclaiming this.

12No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. 13By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world. 15Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.
1 John 4: 12 - 16 NKJV

I often wonder when I see a pastor wondering as to why his attendance numbers declining if he really knows the reason behind the decline.  I mean, if I can see it can't he?  For myself, I came to a point where I simply wasn't getting out of church what I used to.  There was something missing.  It wasn't until I read of the truth of Christ which Paul writes about in Galations that I began to see what it was I had been missing for so long.  I didn't need to be reminded constantly to do the Fathers work.  I didn't need to be beaten over the head each week to seek Gods forgiveness over some sin I had dabbled in years earlier.  No, I was no longer in bondage to sin, but a new man in Christ Jesus {Romans 6:6}.  For me, the reason for the decline in church attendance is as clear as day.  We have been washed by the sacrafice of Jesus on the cross.  Not only that, but we now have a most intimate relationship with Him as He lives through us.  We have no need to "be more" like Jesus...WE ARE Jesus!  We are Jesus in all we do each and every day, how much more of "Gods work" can we do?

7“If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” 8Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” 9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?10“Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11“Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
John 14: 7 - 11 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: