Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Prayers Reach



So Jesus answered and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, 'Be removed and cast into the sea,' it will be done.  "And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."
Matthew 21: 21 - 22 NKJV

I found myself asking a few friends this week to pray for me over a recent string of viruses.  Now, usually when I pray it's simply a one on one conversation with Christ.  After all, there is a good chance that He already knows what it is that I'm coming to talk with Him about.  I don't base this solely on the fact that Jesus is all knowing, but that it is He who lives in me {Galatians 2:20}.  In fact, all that I experience in this life, I experience through Him.  Indeed, if I'm sick, it is Jesus who knows all too well what I'm feeling.  If I'm worried, it is Christ in me who knows the extent and stress of those worries.  Most people regard prayer simply as a name it and claim it reward system from God.  Indeed, Jesus does tell us in a few places in scripture that we can have whatever we ask for in prayer {Matthew 21:22, Mark 11:24, John 15:7}.  So, does that mean that I can then have that new sports car I've been dreaming of?  Well, we can certainly pray for those things which we desire in life.  However, more often than not, when our requests go unanswered, we tend to think that there is an issue somewhere.  There is, and it lies with us.  When was the last time you approached God in prayer and asked simply, "God...what is it that you want for me?"  You might just be surprised with the answer that you receive.  For when we approach God this way we are removing our own desires and motives from the conversation and relying on He who knows us best to tell us what we truly need.  Do we really desire to hear answers such as, "You really should be nicer to your wife" or "Do you really need that drink?"  No, we'd rather have God shower us with gifts which we can therefore use for our own pleasures.  I ask you again, is this what God really desires for us?  Is it Gods desire that I should drive through town in a new car while making others envious?  Is it Gods desire that I should have a job where I make more money than my neighbor that I might hold that over him?  These might be my own desires...but I can assure you that they're not Gods.  Now, does that mean that we're to live humbly with our meager possessions?  If that's His desire for you, then yes.  I am not of the belief that God frowns on our financial success.  I believe that He enjoys blessing us, that we might impact those around us.  As I've said before, the world might not ever know God...but for us.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 6 - 7 NKJV

I don't know about you, but there are A LOT of things I could pray to God for that would indeed make my life easier.  That new car, house and boat would certainly come in handy for sure!  But wait, how would my new found toys help someone around me see Jesus?  Sadly, it wouldn't.  I've known many a Christian who claim themselves "blessed" with material goods yet when a brother is in need their house suddenly looks like a rummage sale! To me, these people have seen their reward in full.  So, how is it that we are to pray?  Well, like I said, I believe that we should approach prayer from the Fathers viewpoint and not our own.  Indeed, He obviously knows our requests even before we approach Him.  So, our prayer should be somewhere along the lines of "Lord, what is your desire for this situation?"  After I requested my brothers to pray over my sickness this week, I also spent some time in prayer asking the Father what He desired to see.  I'm not too proud to say that this life I live is less about my daily efforts and more about what He desires for my life.  After all, it is the Father who walks with me each day.  Ultimately, I believe that His desire is for those around me to see Him working through me.  There are no fancy cars, boats or houses that can exemplify that.  One last thing which I need to mention from my conversation with my brothers this week is faith.  Indeed, I can ask anyone to pray for me, but if I don't trust that it will come to pass then who is it I am asking?  As the scripture claims, we can ask for anything, and if we believe it will come to pass {Matthew 21:22}.  I believe.  I believe that He hears me when I call.  I also believe that He has my best interests in mind even when I don't get that sports car.

~Scott~

No comments: