Saturday, October 31, 2020

Broken Mirrors

 




Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh.  Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer.

2 Corinthians 5: 16 NKJV


I used to own a old car that had its rear view mirror cracked and broken.  Naturally, it was pretty difficult to see anything behind me, thus I adjusted my driving skills accordingly.  Being too cheap to replace the mirror, I lived with having my view compromised.  Like that old car, many of us have endured a life of having our views compromised.  How is that?  Well, while listening to a radio sermon this week I was reminded of how rarely it is that we see God in those around us.  I know what you're saying, what do you mean seeing God in people around us?  I mean exactly that.  Why is it that we fail to see the Lord where He is most likely to be?  Many Christians will search all over for a sign of God, when all the while the evidence of God is right next to them.  I'm thinking that for others to understand this thinking that I need to clarify the meaning of my observation.  See, many people live a Christian life believing that they are separated from the Lord.  That after His ascension into heaven Jesus resided there side by side with the Father.  We're told this in scripture {Acts 1:9, John 3:13}.  So, this is the view many of us have of Jesus.  This was the view I had of Jesus until I discovered the words of the apostle Paul.  It is Paul who introduces us to truth of Christ Jesus.  Paul reminds us that Jesus is not forever bound to heaven as we have been taught for so long.  No, we can find the Jesus of today in...ourselves {Galatians 2:20}.  I mention this with the caveat that Jesus has always been in us.  Remember, it is Jesus who has never changed {Hebrews 7:3}.  So, if Jesus lives in us, as Paul realized, then He has always been there.  Now, the realization of Christ in us is not common Christian doctrine, so it may have yet to be revealed to more than a few believers.  However, this in no way makes it a wrong teaching.  So, given that it is Jesus who lives in us, why is it that we fail to see Jesus where He is?  Why is it that in place of Jesus we continue to see the old, sinful man in others?  Oh, yeah, Jesus did away with our old identity as well {Romans 6:6}.  So, all which remains is Christ who is in us. 


I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Galatians 2:20 NKJV 


Tell me something.  When was the last time you were cut off in traffic and you shouted out in anger, "Jesus why did you do that to me?"  When was the last time someone was rude to you and you said, "Jesus, is that what you really think of me?"  I'll tell you why, because we have never associated Jesus with bad behaviors.  We have never associated Jesus with wrong behaviors.  In our Christian teachings, Jesus is pure and just and right.  I will agree that He is indeed all of these things.  However, I will also agree that it is much easier to see Christ in us than it is to see Him in others.  Especially in others who engage in bad behavior.  How is it that I can say with a straight face that Christ is in me...but not in the guy who insults me?  Jesus has never picked and chosen who He will be a part of.  That is favoritism, and God isn't about that {James 2:5}.  The love and acceptance of Jesus is all inclusive.  In fact, anyone that tells you that Jesus could never love you is a bald faced liar.  Do we fail to associate Jesus with wrong behaviors even though our own behaviors are, at times, questionable?  How can I say that Jesus could never reside within a bad behaving person while I myself exhibit bad behaviors every so often?  Sounds kind of hypocritical doesn't it?  How about this, how about we see everyone around us in truth.  That is, having Jesus in them.  Can someone have Jesus in them and not even realize it?  Of course!  I submit that most people we encounter have never even heard the concept of Christ in them suggested.  All too often, when I explain my view of the living Christ, I get a few blank stares.  Christ Jesus has yet to be revealed in them.  Our prayer is that He would be revealed in them.  If you think it's hard looking into your own mirror...try looking into someone else's instead.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: