Saturday, June 18, 2022

Their Brothers Keeper

 




For I was hungry and you give me to eat.  I thirst and you give me drink; a stranger was I and you took me in.  Naked and you clothed me; infirm am I and you visit me; in jail was I and you come to me.  Then the just will be answering Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we perceive thee hungering and nourish thee, or thirsting and we give you drink?  Now when did we perceive thee a stranger and took thee in, or naked and we clothed thee?  Now when did we perceive thee infirm, or in jail, and we came to thee?  And, answering, the King shall be declaring to them.  'Verily, I am saying to you, In as much as you did it to one of these, the least of my brethren, you did it to Me.' 

Matthew 25: 35-40, Concordant New Testament


I was once again reminded this week of the goodness of people when the Lord Jesus works through them.  For in the middle of the refuse and filth of a homeless area came a group of people who were not thinking of themselves and their own discomfort, but of how that discomfort had to be affecting those who, perhaps through no fault of their own, were living in the surrounding streets.  I came into the situation with the full intent of educating these people of the dangers of illegal dumping on city property, not realizing that this was merely a drop off site in order that they could remove  all of the trash they had collected.  I must say that I was impressed by the efforts of these people who obviously did not know those who lived in the area, but desired them to have a somewhat clean area to live.  These were obviously individuals who were not thinking of themselves first and foremost, but of their neighbors.  In Christian circles, this is referred to as having a 'self for others.'  The desire to put the needs of ourselves aside and instead concentrate on the needs of others.  Obviously, such selfless action is that of the Lord Christ in us {Galatians 2:20}.  For when Christ is in us, He will definitely work through us to reveal to the world the glory of the Father {Matthew 5:16}.  It has been suggested that the world may not see Jesus if not through those who have come to realize His presence in themselves.  I agree.  For if we have perceived the revelation of Christ in us, it is a wonderful opportunity for the Father to be glorified through all we do.  


"You are the light of the world.  A city located on a mountain can not be hid.  Neither are they burning a lamp and placing it under a peak measure, but on a lampstand, and it is shining to all those in the house.  Thus let your light shine in front of men, so that they may perceive your ideal acts and should glorify your Father who is in the heavens." 

Matthew 5: 14-16, Concordant New Testament


We all have known someone in our lives who showed us the example of a self for others.  For me nobody exemplified this more than my mother.  My mother was never one who was shy to make friends with others nor to help them if she was able.  An encouraging word was often her greeting to her friends in church on Sunday morning.  I never knew just how many lives my mom touched until after her passing.  For after she passed came the countless condolence cards of memories of how my mother had touched people's lives.  One card in particular got to me.  A friend of hers whom she had met one Sunday morning at church had recently gotten out of a abusive relationship.  Church was her last sanctuary.  The words she wrote told of how my mom lifted her up when she was feeling lost and alone.  How my mother had spoken to her that Jesus loved her no matter what.  These words, the young lady wrote, spoke love into her when so many others were judging her.  This was indeed a self for others.  Yet what of those people who exemplify the very opposite of a spirit led self for others?  Many of us have seen them also.  Those people who seem to care of nothing but themselves.  I'm told that these people are exemplifying a self for self, based on the lies of the accuser.  Obviously, having a self for others is preferable, but it is something which needs to be revealed in us through the Father.  My own view of humanity had taken some serious hits based on the negativity I have seen.  Yet a small group of people thinking of those around them and not of themselves showed me that Christ working through others is  not such a radical concept.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: