Saturday, December 23, 2023

Selling Jesus

 




"You are the light of the world.  A city located upon a mountain can not be hid.  Neither are they burning a lamp and placing it under a peck measure, but on a lampstand, and it is shing to all those in the house.  Thus let your light shine in front of men, so that they may perceive your ideal acts and should glorify your Father who is in the heavens" 

Matthews Account 5: 14-16, Concordant New Testament 


This past week I found myself browsing through a few catchy Christian t shirts which I intended to wear during my gym workouts.  My thinking was that people would see the shirt and therefore know that I was a believer.  Sort of like a badge of honor, my shirt would certainly draw others into meaningful conversations about Jesus.  After all, that's what it's all about, right?  Didn't Jesus tell His disciples to go and 'Disciple all the nations' {Matthew 28:19}?  Isn't this how many of His children will begin the process of being reconciled to the Father?  The harvest is vast and the workers are few, right {Matthew 9:37}?  True, on all accounts.  But what are we to say of the believer who trusts in a t shirt to proclaim his belief in Christ?  Is such a person simply a walking billboard for Jesus?  Sure, your shirt tells me that you know Christ, but what does your heart say?  Jesus did not tell His followers to plaster His image upon their tunics in order to bring in the harvest of the Lords children.  No, Jesus told His disciples to go out 'Teaching them to be keeping all, whatever I direct you' {Matthew 28:20}.  How is it that I can teach what I have come to know about Jesus by simply wearing a shirt with His name on it?  Of course, those who are interested or feel led to know Him may see such a shirt and feel safe speaking to that person about Christ.  Bit again, my shirt might say I know Jesus, but it does not speak for my heart.  The only way that others will know that I have come to know Christ Jesus in me is by my interaction with those around me.  Jesus called upon His followers to 'Let your light shine in front of men' {Matthew 5:16}.  Why?  So that those around us will 'Perceive your ideal acts and glorify your Father who is in the heavens' {Matthew 5:16}.  Jesus tells us that 'From their fruits you shall be recognizing them' {Matthew 7:16}.  Again, a reference to how we know Jesus in our heart.  I used to wear a shirt with the verse from 1 Thessalonians 5:17 on the back.  On the front of the short was a simple phrase...Pray Hard!  


Yet hallow the Lord Christ in your hearts, ever ready with a defense for everyone who is demanding from you an account concerning the expectation in you, but with meekness and fear. 

Peter To The Dispersion 3: 15, Concordant New Testament 


I feel that if I were to inquire of Jesus of how He desired me to communicate Him to others, He might very well proclaim that actions speak louder than words.  Of course, this isn't always the case, but there is definitely credence to the fact that others pay great attention to how we present ourselves to them.  If I were to behave like a jerk to those around me, would anyone even consider that I know Him in my heart?  I'm to let my light shine in front of men.  How is it that I do that?  How is it that we do that?  Well, I believe that a lot of it comes from our own knowing.  The apostle Paul spoke to the truth of Christ Jesus which was revealed in him {Galatians 2:20}.  As a result, nobody doubted that Paul indeed knew and lived Christ.  He had the indwelling Christ in him, and he allowed His light to shine in front of men.  That is, He allowed Christ Jesus to shine through Him.  It has been said that the world will see  Jesus through those who have come to know Him, I believe that.  As I know Jesus in my heart, He will continue to reveal Himself through me.  In this way His light will shine through me.  Not for my glory, but for that of the Father in heaven.  Yes, I have come to know Christ Jesus in me, and I don't need a shirt to proclaim that.  


~Scott~ 


No comments: