Friday, February 9, 2024

True Faith

 




"And I just got to the point where I was comfortable with whatever happened.  I had my brain wrapped around it and I was in a good spot either way.  People without faith don't have that." 

Toby Keith 


In the midst of someone else's pain, I was reminded this week of the one true meaning of faith.  I have been struggling with my own situation over the past few weeks, but it pales in comparison to country star Toby Keith, who reminded me what it means to have complete trust in the Father.  Mr. Keith had been struggling with a cancer diagnosis for some time and passed away on February 5th.  In his final interview, he described how he faced his illness with the faith and trust in the Lord which he obviously needed.  Regarding his illness, Keith revealed that he was "Comfortable with whatever happened."  Amen!  I could have dug through dozens of inspirational books and not come across such a wonderful description of what it means to wait and trust in the Father no matter what.  I am sure that this popular singer prayed that his condition would be healed.  When my mother was sick, that was my prayer for her as well.  It's in our human nature to lift up prayers for whatever situation we're facing.  Yet how many times do we actually put full trust in the Father that whatever happens He is in control and He will never forsake us?  I know that my own faith has at times wavered in the midst of my own situation.  It doesn't take much sometimes.  A comment from a person seemingly confirming our worst fears.  How many times do we stop and ask, 'Wait, isn't God bigger than that?'  Has He not promised to never forsake us?  These are the promises which we need to make our stand on when tough times come!  Listen, we might be believers, but that is not a guarantee that our lives will be free of pain and struggles.  I'd like to believe that the Father allows these situations in our lives simply for the fact that it gives us that opportunity to trust and lean on Him no matter what happens.  To accept our situation and continue praising Him for loving us.  That is true faith!  All too often, of course, we allow outside influences to kick out from under us that rock on which we stand.  I'm as guilty of this as anyone.  Yet our Father, being who He is, lovingly guides us through that which we fear.  


Now at His entering into Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, entreating Him and saying, "Lord, my boy is prostate in the house, a paralytic, dreadfully tormented."  And He is saying to him, "I, coming, will cure him."  And answering, the centurion averred, "Lord, I am not competent that Thou mayest enter under my roof, but only say the word and my boy will be healed!  For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me, and I am saying to this one, "'Go,' and he is going, and to another, 'come,' and he is coming, and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he is doing it."  Now, hearing it, Jesus marvels.  And He is saying to those following, "Verily, I am saying to you, with no one in Israel so much faith did I find.  Now I am saying to you that many from the east and the west shall be arriving and reclining with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens, yet the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness.  There shall be lamenting and gnashing of teeth."  And Jesus said to the centurion, "Go! As you believe let it come to be with you!  And healed was the boy in that hour.  And the centurion, returning to his house in the same hour, found the boy sound.  

Matthews Account 8: 5-13, Concordant New Testament 


I have been reminded at times of the passage in Matthew where Jesus was amazed by the faith of a Roman soldier.  As Jesus offered to come and heal the mans son, the soldier, obviously knowing the reputation of Jesus, claimed that Jesus need only speak the word and that his boy would be healed.  What was Jesus' response to this Roman?  Jesus was amazed!  So much so that He proclaims that He had not seen such faith in all of Israel!  From a Roman soldier comes a crucial lesson on faith.  This centurion trusted that Jesus had the absolute authority to heal his son.  He was right.  The next time that you find yourself in a situation you fear that you cannot handle, do what the centurion did and trust in Jesus.  From personal experience, trying to navigate these situations ourselves often leads to high stress and sickness.  Who needs that?  There is a reason for which Jesus calls upon us to place our burdens upon Him {Matthews Account 11:28-30}.  Jesus obviously knew what the effects of stress and worry would do to us.  He also knows that by trusting in the Father that we become closer in our own relationship with Him.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: