Going, then, disciple all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to be keeping all, whatever I direct you. And lo! I am with you all the days till the conclusion of the eon! Amen!
Matthews Account 28: 19-20, Concordant New Testament Translation
Websters defines a disciple as "One who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrine of another." I have been around more than a few churches in my lifetime where discipleship was a pretty big deal. I have a dear friend who introduced me into this concept more than a few years ago. The church requirement for discipleship was that I complete a series of classes in order to somehow qualify for their version discipleship. So, there's training involved in accepting the gospel of Christ Jesus? Like many things in the church, I think they missed the mark on this one. Believers all too often refer to the followers of Jesus as being His disciples. But what is it that these twelve men actually did? They followed Jesus, accepted His teachings and came to know Him as the Son of the living God {Matthews Account 16:15-17}. Indeed, Simon had proclaimed Jesus as the Son of God, but it is definitely through His teachings that this truth was revealed unto him. In my own life, I did not see the forest through the trees until after I had left the mainstream church. It was only then that the revelation of the Father opened my eyes to the truth of my life lived within His love. I didn't come to this realization through some church endorsed discipleship class, but through the revelation of the Father. So, am I a disciple? A follower of Jesus? I would beg to differ on this definition. I do not believe that I am a disciple of Jesus, but His very image. Follow me here, we're told that God has created us in His likeness {Genesis 1:27}. In his evangel, the apostle Paul speaks to his own life being dead and gone, "But living in me is Christ" {Paul to the Galatians 2:20}. Many believers refer to Paul as a disciple of Jesus, surely based very on the definition of the word. He believed and he followed Jesus after his Damascus Road experience {Acts of the Apostles 9:1-19}. Up until this point, Paul could hardly be considered a disciple. But, Christianity has accepted him as a disciple of Jesus based upon his conversion.
I had a little difficulty in thinking of a title for this page. I texted a friend this morning asking for help in a topic for my daily thoughts, but he is enjoying a well deserved overseas vacation so I'll cut him some slack. I finally decided on the topic of discipleship because I have a bit of experience in the church version of this concept. However, I'm a firm believer in the fact that words mean things, and I know that the definition of being a disciple is one that fits me. I am a follower of Jesus. I believe in His teachings. But my relationship with Him goes deeper than simply knowing the words He has spoken. I believe that Jesus is my very life. I am in Him, and He is within me. Jesus has assured us of this truth in the gospel of John {Johns Account 14:20}. It seems that Paul wasn't speaking blasphemies when he proclaimed that Christ lived in him. So, I would not consider myself a follower of Jesus, but His very image. The image of Christ Jesus who is in me. Now, many within the church might accuse me of taking the scriptures out of context by proclaiming this truth, but I believe in my heart that this is the revelation given unto me by the Father. The same revelation which Jesus spoke had been revealed unto Simon. Therefore, I believe that we should no longer refer to those who have known the revelation of the Father as disciples, but as His chosen. After all, that is what He has done {Johns Account 15:16}. I have been chosen and appointed by Jesus. I understand the rules and regulations of the church, and I know that they feel the need to adhere to their long held traditions. But I also believe that a true disciple of Jesus never follows, but lives their life within Him.
Not you choose Me, but I choose you, and I appoint you, that you may be going away and be bringing forth much fruit, and your fruit may be remaining, that anything whichsoever you should be requesting from the Father in My name, He will be giving it to you
Johns Account 15: 16, Concordant New Testament Translation
~Scott~

No comments:
Post a Comment