Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Call

That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  For with the heart one believes unto rightousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.  For the scripture says, "Whoever calls on Him will not be put to shame."  For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.  For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
Romans 10: 9 - 13 NKJV 

It's really something that I can't put a time frame on.  I'm guessing it happened in the midst of some situation where the only option was to continue on my current life path or heed the call of Jesus on my heart.  Indeed, others have often asked me if I recall the moment that I accepted the reality of Christ Jesus in me.  Now, I had "asked" Jesus into my heart at a young age, but I do not recall just when.  However, I'm sure that it was at a point in my life where I was ready to allow Him in.  The interesting thing about our so called conversion from a life in the world to a new life in Jesus is that God does not make this a requirement for His children.  That choice belongs ultimately to us.  In the end, that is the deciding question, will we chosse to accept Christ or not?  Why does God choose to do tings this way?  Well, Ibelieve that our Lord wants for us to be free to make this choice for ourseles without His pre conditions.  There is a unique perspective of the one who makes his choice because he prefers to and the one who is forced into his decision.  For being forced to make our choice is not a choice at all.  For is a slave given the chance to choose their freedom?  Yet, God provides us with that opportunity to choose the world or to choose Jesus.  To choose life or choose the world.  Why?  Well, my friend Dennis is fond of saying that one cannot know the good unless they know evil.  That one will not recognize darkness unless they also see the light.  

"There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day.  ""But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich mans table.  "Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.  "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abrahams bosom.  The rich man died ans was also buried.  "And being in torment in Hades, he lifted his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.  "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'  "But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.  "And besides this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot,nor can those from there pass to us.'  "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my fathers house, 'for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'  "Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.'  "And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'  "But he said to him, '"If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead."
Luke 16: 19 - 31 NKJV 

In Luke 16, Jesus gives a excellent illustration of that choice we are all faced with.  The choice of choosing God or the world.  Make no mistake, the rich man indeed had that opportunity to choose God while still alive.  Suddenly realizing, once we our eternity has arrived, that it's not what we expected is the wrong time to make this choice.  As Jesus claims, we have Moses and the prophets to guide our choice in the right direction, but ultimately that choice is our own to make.  Not to be crude, but will we choose life, or death?  More than a few people have asked me when I made that choice.  Honestly, I do not recall that sepcific moment.  What I do know is that I made my choice for Jesus.  If there is one peice of advice that I would give others in the same situation is to choose wisely.

~Scott~ 

No comments: