Thursday, December 22, 2016

Calm Through Christ

31So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him. 32“If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately. 33“Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come,’ so now I say to you. 34“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35“By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
John 13: 31 -35 NKJV

I've noticed a change in a few people around me lately.  For some time, I have shielded myself from the much of the workplace drama around me by isolating myself in my little office which is out of the way.  However, eventually a bit of the excitement managed to find me.  When it did, instead of immersing myself in the mire as I would do in days past, I simply listened to what others had to say without reacting with/to them.  Now for the amazing part, it would seem that after a few months of doing this, of taking the high road, that more than a few of my co workers have openly sought me out for advice on issues they were having.  Now, I'm definately no expert on psychology, but I can listen.  Sometimes, that is all someone is looking for is an ear to hear what is weighing heavy on their heart.  This quiet strength, this calmness was so often exhibited by Jesus when He would encounter those who were hurting.  There was no condemnation, ridicule or lecturing on the part of Jesus, only a simple love for those who were desperately in need of it.  As I've said, all too often this is all that someone who is hurting in some way is looking for, for someone to listen to them, someone to care.  I raised this question to Dennis this past week, of just how during his career as a pastor he had managed to console those who were hurting.  At the time, I didn't see this ability in myself, not realizing that unconsciously I was already doing the very same thing he was talking about.  Dennis' response?  Everyone has pain at some point, and all pain is simply that, hurt.  To emphasize with someone who is hurting is a good thing, but what if we cannot put ourselves in the other persons shoes?  Well, as I found out recently, sometimes simply listening to someones hurt is all they need.

43“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44o“But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45“that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46“For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47“And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48“Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
Matthew 5: 43 - 48 NKJV

Now, as far as my co workers go, I have no idea of the religious affiliation, if any, of many of them.  That did not enter my mind at the time.  Honestly, my first thought, albeit somewhat selfishly, was to isolate myself from the day to day workplace drama.  However, by not engaging in this banter, I had unknowingly become somewhat of a beacon for those around me.  As believers, we are called by Christ to "Let our light shine before men" that others may see our heavenly Father through our own actions.


16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5: 16 NKJV

Like it or not, as believers we are truly a light unto the world which we live in.  If this were not true, then Christ would have made this known to us.  This does not mean that we need bear the weight of the burdens of the world on our christian shoulders, only that we exhibit the very love of Christ Jesus who lives through us {Galations 2:20}.  As Jesus tells us in John 13, as He has loved us, so should we love one another.  One thing I always believed, and one thing I mentioned to Dennis in our conversation was that the very worst we can do to someone who is hurting inside is to throw a few bible verses their way and call it good.  This is not love, nor is it the way of Christ Jesus.  To show love to one who is hurting is to listen, to empathize and to care and not to lecture.  In this we let our own light shine and show love to others.

~Scott~
When I get home people'll ask me, 'hey Hoot, why do you do it, man?  Why?  You some kinda war junkie?'  I won't say a goddamn word.  Why?  They won't understand.  They won't understand why we do it.  They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it.  That's all it is.
~SFC Norm "Hoot" Hooten~ 

No comments: