Friday, December 9, 2016

Jesus In Disguise

19“A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. 20“At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 21“He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and fmanifest Myself to him.”
John 14: 19 - 21 NKJV 

Lately our discussion group has spent a good deal of time on the topic of knowing the truth of Christ Jesus, which is Christ in us, the hope of glory.  Inevitably, one of us will broach that obvious question of how we can see Christ in others.  At times that may be as difficult as comprehending the truth of Christ.  For there are those among us whom we come into contact with each and every day who we would never guess had Christ within them.  As Jesus told His disciples in John 14, there would indeed come a time when the world would see Him no more.  Of course, Jesus was more than likely refering to His ultimate death on the cross, but there is yet another side to His warning.  For indeed the world would no longer see Him, while many would not even know Him.  In fact, many continue today to speak of Christ as though He were dead.  This, of course, is contrary to what the word tells us about Him.  Indeed, Jesus became sin, was crucified on a Roman cross and rose agian as He put to death the sin nature which had cursed us.  To put it simply, Jesus reversed the curse which we were born under.  Instead of condemnation, we now have life through Him.  Not too long ago, there was a phase in which it was popular to wear fashionable "What would Jesus do?" merchandise.  From bracelets and bumper stickers to t shirts, everyone it seems was asking that same question, what would Jesus do?  The seems like a good question for a world of non believers.  Trouble is, many of those who dabbled in the what would Jesus do craze were themselves christians.  I've seen it for myself, shelves in the church bookstore stocked with the latest in WWJD merchandise.  So the question remains, what would Jesus do?

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV 

If there is one thing which I know, it's that we who know the truth of Christ Jesus, we know what Jesus would do.  We know how Jesus would treat others, we know how Jesus would comfort those who are hurting.  We know this because the truth of Christ Jesus whispers to us that we live today AS JESUS.  Not only did Jesus tell His disciples that they would know that He was in the Father, and that they were in Him.  Personaly, I saw the whole WWJD craze as just another way for the church to make money off of the name of Christ, but that's just my take.  Tell me, what did Jesus do with the profiteering money changers He discovered in His Fathers house?  What would Jesus do?  I tell you what He did, He drove them out of the temple!  This Jesus, this man of compassion and peace, violently tossed those mony changers out of His Fathers house.  THAT'S what Jesus would do.  So tell me, what would Jesus do if He happened to come across a WWJD display in your local church?  I think we know that answer already.  We know this because Jesus is alive and well and walks among us today.  We've all seen Him, only disguised as those whose hearts are set on Him.  The apostle Paul lays out in Galations 2 the truth of Christ who is in us.  For we have indeed been crucified, nailed on that cross with Jesus.  We no longer live, but He lives within us.  Christ Jesus in the Father, we in Him and He in us.  A brilliant disguise indeed.  

~Scott~ 

No comments: