Friday, August 31, 2018

Humble Yourself



3Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Philippians 2: 3 - 4 NKJV

I saw a replay of a college football game from last season the other day.  The game was one of the semi finals from the college football playoff featuring Oklahoma and Georgia.  Well, for most of the game the sooners of Oklahoma were handing Georgia their lunch as they built a good lead.  So much so that heralded Oklahoma quarterback and Baker Mayfield paraded along the sidelines at halftime screaming "It's over!"  I remember watching this game last season that the young mans optimism might just be a bit presumptuous.  Sure enough, Georgia came storming back in the second half and won the game setting the stage for a showdown with Alabama in the championship game.  Suddenly the confident Mayfield morphed into a crying, remorseful young man as he walked off the field at the end of a game which an hour earlier he was so sure he had won.  As he walked off the field, one of the Bulldog linebackers yelled something in his direction.  Soon the cameras picked up the exchange..."HUMBLE YOURSELF!"  Words of advice from a worthy opponent.  In fact, I couldn't think of any better advice to give this cocky young ball player in the midst of defeat.  Perhaps his coach had sat him down and told him the same thing.  All too often it seems that we could use that same advice in our own lives.  Humble yourself.  I have not been above seeing myself as more important than I really am at times, and there have been those who have all too often reminded me to humble myself.  As followers of Christ, we are often told to put the interests of others above those of our own, yet this is easier said than done at times.  Looking out for number one seems to be easier than the interests of others.  Just ask Baker Mayfield.

9Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11“The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12‘I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13“And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14“I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be dhumbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Luke 18: 9 - 14 NKJV

I recall that story of the Pharisee and the tax collector which Jesus related to those who were listening that day.  The arrogant Pharisee comes into the temple assured of his own righteousness all the while looking down at the lowly tax collector.  Meanwhile, that same tax collector humbles himself before the Lord and admitted his own weakness.  Humble yourself.  How is this important in our own lives?  Well, how many times have we ourselves looked upon ourselves as righteous and chosen christians?  Yes, we are followers of Christ, but we remain meek in His presence.  Although it is Christ who now lives through me, I am no greater than those around me {Galations 2:20}.  I can honestly say that each time I have viewed myself as more righteous than my brother, I was humbled rather quickly.  I'm not sure if this is Christs way of keeping us in line or not, but I would definately say that He has a way of helping us see who we truly are.  I am Christ Jesus who lives through me.  I am not independent from my Lord, but He lives through me.

~Scott~

No comments: