Saturday, September 1, 2018

The Divided Christ



10Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.11For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. 12Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” 13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Corinthians 1: 10 - 13 NKJV

I had a good conversation with a friend of mine the other day.  It was one I knew had been coming, but thought that I could put it off for a bit longer until I had proven myself righteous in my own eyes.  See, for some time our Sunday morning gatherings have morphed into a sort of spiritual battle of right versus wrong in regards to the scriptures.  Well, in this kind of battle nobody wins.  In fact, the very first casualty of this battle might have well been the fellowship of my friend.  I couldn't let that happen.  In the end it got me thinking, what is it that causes such dissention among believers when it comes to our own beliefs, the scripture and how it is we interpret it?  The apostle Paul wondered the very same thing.  Paul had heard through the grapevine that there were contentions among the believers in Corinth.  Instead of throwing scripture at his friends and lecturing them in the correct worship of Christ, Paul asked them a simple question...is Christ divided?  Were his friends indeed baptized in the name of Paul?  I would hope that all christians know the answer to Pauls questions.  In the end, we follow the gospel of the risen Christ, not that of Scott, Dennis or whoever it is that chooses to argue their scriptural point.  This is a issue which I have had for some time.  Whenever I will hear someone tell a different version of the gospel than mine, I tend to defend my point of view pretty passionately.  This, more than anything, is a wedge among those who trust and believe in Christ Jesus.  Would Jesus advocate such a rabid defense of His own teachings that it would push others away?  I'll do you one better, does God need ANYONE to defend Him?  I would say no...to both points.  Yet me, being what I considered to be a good christian, took it upon myself to defend what I believed in.  I almost pushed away my good friend in the process.  No argument is worth that.

12Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.12Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. 14But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. 15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.
Colossions 3: 12 - 15 NKJV

As I recall, there were indeed contentions and arguments among the early church of the followers of Christ Jesus.  If there had not been, then the warnings of Paul and James would not have been needed.  So, really, not too much has changed as far as how it is we agree to disagree on the gospel of Christ.  In fact, as long as we are right in our own eyes then all is good.  Then again, what about those who we try to rake over the coals because of their beliefs?  Would I want to continue in the fellowship of a group which constantly attacked my beliefs?  Probably not.  More than likely, I would seek out a more hospitable environment to hang my hat.  So it is with those around us.  I truly believe that Jesus would wish for His followers to be kind, loving and merciful to others as He was to us.  Jesus never tossed me aside despite my own beliefs no matter how misguided they may have been.  On the contrary, He gently guided me into the knowledge that He is with me each and every day {Galations 2:20}.  It is but by my Lords revelation that I will fully realize that reality of Christ in me.  I can't say that I there yet, but each day brings me another opportunity to see what He is showing me.  I cannot expect someone to pick up on this truth of Christ in us when I myself still struggle with it.  However, I will say that He has revealed to me a Jesus I never thought I would know.  That is the man Christ Jesus, the man Jesus whom I can share a relationship with.  Instead of discouraging others because of their beliefs, I should be welcoming them into fellowship with Him.  Come and see.  In the end, Christ is not divided but all inclusive.  That through Him all might be saved {John 3:17}.

And I wear it for the thousands who have died
Believing that the Lord was on their side
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died
Believing that we all were on their side.
~Man In Black - Johnny Cash~

~Scott~

No comments: