Monday, September 10, 2018

The Dones



15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or eprincipalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.18And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.
Colossions 1: 15 - 18 NKJV

I ran across a article the other day which I immediately commented on and forwarded to a few friends.  The article describes a new generation of christians who have made up their minds that they are "done" with being identified with any particular religious group.  In fact, when polled as to what religious affiliation they associate themselves with, many of these new age christians simply responded "nothing in particular."  Now, honestly, my first inclanation was to ask...what is it they done with?  Are they done with the whole institutional church model of christianity or are they simply weary of seeking the perfect christian church in a fallen world?  Whatever their motivation was to leave the christian church, I get why they are doing it.  Some years ago, I became a done myself.  I was tired of the so called dog and pony show of each sunday service, which I knew in my own heart was not the way it was meant to be.  To me, it seemed as if fellowship and worship had been replaced by loud music, strict rules and a almost authoritarian attendance policy.  I can't tell you how many times I faced that guilt trip of walking into church and needing to explain why I missed a sunday service or two.  So, I began to ask myself, was this church I was attending really based on the model of that early church of the followers of Christ Jesus?  I could plainly see that it wasn't.  Now, granted, we are living in a different time than that first gathering of believers, but I believe that in their own testimony that we can find the true definition of church.  See, church is not authoritarian or political, nor is it bound by the rules and regulations which we all too often see today.  If you truly want to know what church is, look around you and you will see.  I never did leave the church, I left that christian institution and all which it stood for.

12For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink ginto one Spirit. 14For in fact the body is not one member but many. 15If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 16And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 17If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased.
1 Corinthiand 1: 12 - 18 NKJV

I am hoping that those who read this page will make the distinction that I am not anti church in any way.  It just depends on which church we are talking about.  Is our discussion about the followers of Christ Jesus who are the true church, or about the rules, traditions and regulations imposed by man which we see in almost every house of worship these days.  Believe me, there is a difference, and we would do well NOT to group the two together.  See, the very reason I was able to associate with the dones of this new generation of christians is because I have been there myself.  I've seen my share of guilt ridden sunday sermons and ushers carrying attendance sheets.  The simple fact is, those who have decided to leave the church are not leaving the church at all...they are leaving the system.  Again, I do not blame them at all for choosing to leave.  They will not hear a word of condemnation from me.  I will never ask them why it is that they left.  What I will do is invite them into a new church, a church where the sermons, classes and worship bands are replaced by fellowship and conversation.
Some time ago, two friends started a new church on a sunday morning.  This church is not your typical sunday morning bible thumping congregation.  There are no get well classes, nurseries or worship bands.  All of these have been replaced by the fellowship of a few friends.  We talk about life, politics or whatever it is we feel led to speak.  Our church is not based on rules or traditions but on the fellowship of friends gathering together in Christ.  After all, it is we who are the church of Christ Jesus.

44Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need. 46So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44 - 47 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: