Sunday, September 23, 2018

The Mens Club



5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), 6yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
1 Corinthians 8: 5 - 6 NKJV

It seems that I have two fathers.  I have a father who was never involved and one who has never left my side.  I overheard a interesting talk from a radio pastor the other day.  It seems that this pulpit pounder was attempting to make the point which I already knew, but in the process he stepped in the manure of the sacraficial cattle.  Oh, he did ok as he explained that it would seem that we indeed have two fathers.  I get it.  We have our own earthly fathers with whom we form relationships be they good or bad.  For me it was a negative experience, but that's just me.  Then, each of us has a loving heavenly Father whose desire it is to remain in us {Galations 2:20}.  What surprised me about this pastors sermon was a off the cuff remark he made.  As this man saw it, christianity had become a "mens club."  Now, at first this seemed like some politically correct assault on christianity, but I soon saw where he was headed with his reckoning.  Yes, as christians we follow and worship our heavenly Father.  It is also true that as followers of Christ Jesus that HE lives through us today.  This was the point of the preachers comments.  The two central figures to our trust, beliefs and faith are described as...men.  So, is christianity merely a mens club centered around a few domineering men?  On the contrary, there are plenty of references to women in the scriptures.  Our own Lord and savior was born of a virgin.  Not only that, but we are told of the close relationships which Jesus shared with a few women around him.  Doesn't really sound too male dominated to me, but I'm not a pastor.


7“If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” 8Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” 9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?10“Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11“Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
John 14: 7 - 11 NKJV

I will admit that I have often wondered just why things were set up this way.  Couldn't I have had a heavenly mother?  However, I usually don't dwell too much on such questions.  So, how is it that we know that our heavenly Father is indeed...a man?  Well...well...Jesus was a man!  Yes, Jesus Himself is the Son of the living God.  However, we are also told that NOBODY has ever seen the Father {John 1:18}.  I would also suggest that we would never have known the Father at all if He were not shown through Christ Jesus.  As we are told, He and the Father are one {John 1:30}.  This relationship also helps others around us see the Father today.  For just as Jesus displayed the Father to those around Him, we also display Him through our own lives.  If we are told that Jesus lives through us today, then it is God Himself who dwells in us.  If God dwells in us, then He will display Himself to those around us in all we do.  Now, it took me some time to wrap my understanding around the fact that my heavenly Father is not flesh and blood at all...but Spirit in nature.  How is that we can attach our own human descriptions to He who created all we see around us?  However, I'm not against someone using something we can comprehend to better understand that which we can't see.

18No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
John 1:18 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: