Monday, October 1, 2018

Not Wasted On The Young



3But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the asimplicity that is in Christ.4For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted—you may well put up with it!
2 Corinthians 11: 3 - 4 NKJV

I heard a radio pastor mention a story the other day about a group of young people in California back in the 1970's who attempted to bring their own version of the gospel of Jesus into the local church.  Their pastor,Lonnie Frisbee, is described as a "seeing prophet, minister and evangelist."  Frisbee was a key figure in the Jesus movement of the 1970's.  He wasn't just another hippie pastor...he WAS the hippie pastor.  Frisbee and his group of young upstarts did their best to propegate the local church with their brand of new age Jesus talk.  To say that Lonnie Frisbeee was a evangelist is to claim that Babe Ruth was just another ball player.  Indeed, when they talked of power evangelism, they often mentioned Lonnie Frisbee.  What struck me about his story is the number of young people he was able to entice into his movement.  Of course, I really should not be too surprised considering the direction of many local institutional churches these days.  Time and again we see church after church tailoring their teaching to fit the "young" crowd in the church.  I would venture to say that if a pastor stuck to his guns and held to the traditional gospel of Christ instead of catering to the youth movement that he might soon find himself out of work.  This was the fear of the apostle Paul in his letter to the Corinthians, that they would become accepting of another gospel than the one which God had revealed to them.  Every time I see a congregation being overtaken by the alternative teachings of yet another young Pharisee school graduate I think of this scripture.  Far from simply quoting another, I have seen firsthand how easily this can happen.  A former church which I used to attend was once overcome by a new system designed to cater to a younger crowd.  So much so that the teachings of the church were reshaped as well.  The focus of the church had been placed on how well they spoke to the younger generation.  Lonnie Frisbee would have been proud.  I see it more and more these days, churches "energized" by the teachings and energy of a younger generation.  So, what happened to that gospel of Jesus which you first heard not so long ago?  How soon we forget.

6I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to perverta the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
Galations 1: 6 - 8 NKJV

I might be just be an old fart, or perhaps I know that which is true in my own heart, but I have always stuck to the same gospel of Jesus which I was brought up in.  Well, with a few revelations thrown in by Christ in His own timing.  So, I really don't understand that popularity of another message brought forth by another slick talking youngster.  I mean, if I know the truth in my heart, don't others as well?  Maybe we just want a fresh perspective every now and then, but we're talking about the gospel here people.  What good does it ultimately do us when we circumvent that which we know to be true in order to appease a few within the church?  I'll tell you what good it does, it means drawing in more people.  In the end, this is the goal of each and every Pharisee school church pastor.  The more people in the church means the more successful it has become.  It's no wonder that I have always been a fan of the small neighborhood church.  I'm guessing that the gospel which we once heard isn't so exciting anymore.  That doesn't mean that it is the wrong gospel. only that there are others who don't like it for whatever reason.  I get it.  Sitting in the same stuffy church hearing the same message sunday after sunday can take its toll I guess.  Again, this doesn't change the gospel of Jesus, only that we have grown weary of hearing it.  So we inject our churches with young people and a new energizing message designed to impress and fill those empty pews.  Sorry, but I'll stick with what I know to be true.  Some might claim that I'm for not teaching young people in the church.  On the contrary, I am all for our youth being involved in our congregations.  How will the gospel of Jesus be passed down if not by the next generation?  Our heavenly Father tells us that we are to bring our youth up in His teachings.  I'd love to ask Lonnie Frisbee just what he would think of our modern christian youth movement.  However, Lonnie passed away from AIDS in 1993.

23“Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’or ‘There!’do not believe it. 24“For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25“See, I have told you beforehand. 26“Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’do not go out; or ‘Look, He is in the inner rooms!’do not believe it. 27“For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be."
Matthew 24: 23 - 27 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: