Tuesday, November 20, 2018

I Can



20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

The other day I wrote out a list of a few things which I've considered shortcomings in my life.  Now, I wouldn't call these areas detrimental to my daily living, just misplaced beliefs.  Things like, being successful, having good things etc.  The list included about ten things that I was telling myself that I could accomplish.  It was more of a motivational tool than anything else, but I soon realized that I had touched on something important in my own life.  While it's true that I can indeed accomplish all of the things on this list of mine, I really shouldn't have had to even wonder if it was at all possible.  I already have it in me.  I have within me the ability to be all that Christ Jesus Himself is.  This is not only my identity but all that I am.  If indeed Christ is in me as we're told, then along with that comes all which He is {Galations 2:20}.  I cannot sit back and claim Christ Jesus in me while ignoring that fact alltogether.  So, my list has suddenly turned from "I can" to "He can."  Like most people, it seems that I had failed to realize all that Jesus is.  He is not simply a story in the bible.  He is not just the perfect man to model ourselves after.  The fact is, we need not struggle with being "more like" Jesus because we already are.  I wasted a lot of my christian life chasing the carrot on the end of the stick of being more like Jesus.  This isn't a issue with how Jesus is, He never changes {Hebrews 13:8}.  No, this is a issue of how WE see Jesus.  Or, how we see Jesus in us.  If we listen to the institutional pulpit pounders tell it, Jesus is unattainable.  We're better off simply imitating Christ than realizing who we truly are inside.  Brother, this is a race we can never win.  When we view Jesus as outside of ourselves, then we see ourselves as seperated from Him which is the lie which satan introduced to Eve in the garden {Genesis 3: 4-5}.  Of course, it is the very same lie which Lucifer himself believed {Isaiah 14: 13-14}.  The truth is, when satan tempted Eve in the garden by claiming that by eating the from the forbidden tree that she would "be like God"...she already was!

 4Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5“For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
Genesis 3: 4 - 5 NKJV

I recently related a story of a friend of mine who worked hard to provide for his own children, only to have his son claim that he grew up without a father.  The reason that I used this story as an example of Christ in us is for the very reason that we ourselves all too often perpetrate the same lie which satan threw down so long ago.  We cannot be like God....we already are Him!  Through Christ Jesus, we now have our heavenly Fathers Spirit within us.  All that He is, we are as well.  Still, like most well meaning christians, I fell for the bait on the end of the line and believed that I could be "like" Jesus if I tried hard enough.  A few months ago I ran across a struggling christian who, like many, was weary of the institutional church rat race of always trying to be good enough.  He was surprised when he told me that he had left the church and I simply told him "I don't blame you."  I don't blame someone for growing weary of constantly struggling to measure up, I've been there.  The truth is, it's a struggle we can never win.  There will always be one more sin, one more indiscretion which will make us feel unworthy of our Lords presence.  The reality of Christ in us was not meant to enslave us in more guilt and shame, but to free us from it!  There is truth in the words of the apostle Paul when he claims that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus {Romans 8:1}.
As I finished writing out my motivational list of accomplishments I realized that I had chosen a appropriate title for my list.  Through Christ Jesus in me...I can.

1There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
Romans 8: 1 - 2 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: