Saturday, November 10, 2018

Our Human Condition



27So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 1: 27 NKJV 

I asked myself a question this week after watching the election coverage on some talking head channel.  I had just finnished watching a interview where some millenial snob was arguing that his vote must be made important at all costs.  Really, dude?  So, should I take it from this comment that everyone elses vote should be less important than this new age hippie?  So, I asked myself the question, when did did it become all about us?  Now, it's no secret that we live in a age of self important, entitled millenials, but I think it goes even deeper than that.  For some time now, "sieze the day" and "look out for number one" have been catch phrases to describe our own human condition.  Can anyone see the obvious discrepancy in this thinking?  Well, I'll refresh you with one question...what about God?  Where does He stand in all of this?  We're talking the God who created all we see, not just a God who we turn to when we're up that creek without a paddle.  Now, I'll admit that I've been bitten by that millenial bug every now and then, but I really do not believe that this is how God intended us to be.  For to believe this we must believe that we are seperated from our heavenly Father who created us, our Father who has called proclaimed us His children {1 John 3:1}.  In my heart, I cannot fathom that a God who would take such care in His own creation and ensuring our future would suddenly toss us to the winds of fate.  No, He has never worked that way.  With God there is always a purpose to all He does.  Funny man George Carlin once quoted "What's the use of being God if any run down shmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and f@ck up your plan?"  I agree.  Be it Gods will or His devine plan, that which our heavenly Father set in motion long ago was a series of events all leading up to His desired outcome.  Is there anything in our own lives in which God has not been involved in?  Yet, seperation from God is a teaching we so often see these days.  

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
Genesis 2: 7 NKJV 

I have a dear friend who refers to this teaching from the institutional church as seperation theology.  I agree.  So, what is it about our so called "human condition" which places upon us the desire to be seperated from God?  Well, I don't think that it is a desire to be seperated from God, but a desire to be seen as a independent being.  I have a friend I work with who has had a fractured relationship with his son over the years.  Now, over the years his father has provided for his sons well being, health and shelter as any good parent would have.  However, these days that same son he cared for all those years ago has taken to proclaiming that he grew up with a father who was never around!  Now, either this young man is delusional or he simply has refused to accept all which has occured in his life.  I mention this to bring attention to our own human condition.  See, all too often we are that estranged child who feels that we as well did not receive the benefits of being a child of God.  Does this mean that God has somehow abandoned us?  NO!  What it means is that we, as His creation, have failed to realize who it is that we truly are.  This is not a God issue, it's a WE issue.  I cannot come before God and lay claim that He somehow was never there for me.  Likewise, I cannot approach Him with the belief that I am somehow seperated from Him.  For it is God who breathed into me the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  All that He is...I am.  It is God who lives through me today {Galations 2:20}.  As with my coworkers own son, he carries with him all which his father is.  So, what does this say for our own human condition?  Well, I believe that our own condition is and always will be linked our heavenly Father.  There will continue to be a mistaken belief that we are somehow seperated and independent from Him, but that will never make it true.  


3For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
Colossions 3: 3 - 4 NKJV

~Scott~ 

No comments: