Friday, December 7, 2018

Book Smart



13I can do all things through fChrist who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13 NKJV

I have a friend who, when we meet for our weekly Jesus talk, relishes relating our own daily experiences into our discussions.  Sure, it's all good to gather to learn all about Christ in us, but there's something about putting Jesus into our own every day experiences that somehow makes Him more real to us.  I get it.  There are times when we all look to others that they might share in our daily struggles.  I believe that this is one of the main benefits of christian fellowship.  When we share in our experiences, we not only relieve that burden of life in the trenches, but we may very well learn how to handle it better as well.  However, one thing I have reminded my friend of from time to time is that we do not need to go to such lengths to make Jesus more real to us.  See, Jesus is as real to us today as He was to His own disciples back in the day.  Yes, I know I will get some push back on this, but I know from my own experience that a personal relationship with Christ is not only possible, but essential to all who trust in Him.  The funny thing about knowledge is that it fades over time if we don't use it.  We can be "book smart" in the scriptural descriptions of Jesus and His life and yet never know Him on a personal level.  My question would be,  what have we gained by this?  Sure, we learn all about Jesus from that book, but we also learn of how God is a jealous God and all men are sinners.  This is where a lot of christians get tripped up, they focus on the book and not on their own relationship with Jesus.  Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of value we can gain from reading into the scriptures.  Why wouldn't we, this is Gods own story to those who seek Him.  It is my belief that the scriptures were never meant to be used as a guideline for how we live our own lives, but as a story.  Think of how it would be if God wrote a letter to you about His own life, and there you have the bible.  Think of what it would be like if God wrote you a letter to introduce to you His own Son.  Well, you get the idea.  Like I said, this is where many well meaning christians get tripped up.  After all, we've been taught by way too many pulpit pounders that burying ourselves in the scriptures is what every christian needs to be more "Christ like."  I get it.

37“And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. 38“But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. 39“You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
John 5: 37 - 39 NKJV

I recently heard a radio preacher claim that there was no way to God but through scripture.  Really?  Think of the words of Jesus in John 5:39.  "You search the scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me."  Jesus was plainly telling all who would listen that the road to knowing Him was not paved by the pages of the bible.  Don't be that guy.  There is no way that you will find a personal relationship with Christ through the scriptures.  Now, what you will find is His own story.  For the pages of scripture are what testify of Him.  It is through the scriptures that God introduces His own Son to us.  There is a guy in our group who steadfastly hangs his hat on the scriptures as a guide on how to live his christian life.  This does not make him any less a christian, only that he has not yet realized the importance of a personal relationship with Jesus.  That relationship cannot found on the pages of any book which I've seen.  The apostles did not come to a personal relationship with the man Jesus by reading about Him.  No, they came to know Him through spending time with Him.  Yet, you tell me, "Scott, how can I come to know Jesus personally?"  Believe me, I asked that very same question of a good friend some time ago.  What he told me made me stop and think.  See, getting to know Jesus on a personal level is not too complicated when we we realize the truth of who it is we are.  See, part of the story of Christ Jesus is how He has come to live in us {Galations 2:20}.  It is through this revelation that we can confidently proclaim, I AM Christ!  After all, it is Jesus Himself who lives through me.  How much closer to Him will I ever be?  It is this truth of Christ in us which we should be focusing.  After all, our heavenly Father has already written His letter to introduce His Son to us.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: