Saturday, December 8, 2018

In The Trenches



2My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
James 1: 2 NKJV

Charles Stanley once wrote that there is nothing joyful about lifes trials, and absolutely no value in our suffering for it's own sake.  In this I would agree.  Who among us enjoys going through those tough times in life?  Trust me, I don't wake up with a smile every day and proclaim, "Lord, I'm happy for the bad things in my life!"  That's just me.  Now, I have known more than a few christians who were on the other side of that fence, who would relish in whatever trial God would send their way.  Believe me, when I get into the trenches of my everyday life, I'd rather there be smooth sailing all the way.  Am I wrong in thinking this way?  Maybe, but I also know that God has a purpose for those trials which He allows into my life.  That purpose is my own endurance through these situations.  If I never once faced a tough time in my life, how would I know how to handle them?  This is why I'm a big believer in those who keep a journal of their daily walk through life.  I've tried it, and it is a big help when I can look back on situations I've been through which God has brought me through.  I can recall many a situation I've faced where I was not so sure of the outcome.  We've all been there.  What I didn't see during those times was how that situation looked from Gods perspective.  Sure, I can ask God what He was thinking, but unless I have a personal relationship with Him then I probably won't see how it is that He walks with me each day.  This I am already assured of because we know that Christ lives through us {Galations 2:20}.  Each and every step I take, I take as Christ who is in me.

3And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces bperseverance;4and perseverance, ccharacter; and character, hope. 5Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
Romans 5: 3 - 5 NKJV

I have a coworker who has struggled in his own relationship with his oldest son.  On more than one occassion he has asked me, "Scott, does he REALLY think that I would give him advice that would hurt him?"  I can say the same thing about our relationship with God.  Do we really feel that God would lead us into something that would ultimately harm us?  Yet every day there are christians who sit on that fence wondering if the Lords leading is REALLY what He desires for them.  Yeah, I've been there too.  Do we really know better than God when it comes to what's best for us?  At times I have been foolish enough to think so.  We call it taking a wrong turn in life, when what we should be calling it is failing to follow His leading.  Does He who breathed into us the breath of life ultimately know what's best for His children?  I would think so.  Maybe this is exactly why James tells us to "consider it all joy" when we come across lifes trials?  Maybe what we see as a trial is simply Gods way of  leading us in that direction He desires for us?  Do we really feel that He would lead us into a direction that would harm us?  Perhaps a better response when we encounter lifes forked roads would be to step back and allow Him to lead us where it is He desires.  Easier said than done, right?  I get it.  Yet, I think back again to my coworkers situation.  If his son would place enough trust in his fathers experience to see that he is not leading him astray then perhaps the relationship would be on better footing.  When those times of trial and turmoil rage into our lives, if we trust in Christ  who is in us to lead us where it is that He desires then perhaps it will deepen our own relationship with Him.  In the end, He will never fail us nor lead us into harm.

12Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; 13but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.
1 Peter 4: 12 - 13 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: