Sunday, April 7, 2019

At The Cross


28After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” 29Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. 30So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.
John 19: 28 - 30 NKJV

I had the opportunity this weekend to particpate with a few old friends as well as some new aquaintances to share in a ministry.  Granted, I have never been a member of said ministry, the opportunity to share the truth of Christ Jesus with others should never be passed up.  One thought that took on a personal meaning for me was that the cross of Jesus was a landmark in our belief in Him.  What do we see as we stand at the cross?  For me, the cross has always meant the completion of what it was which Jesus set out to do.  What was that?  Well, we're told that on that cross, Jesus cleansed us of all of our sins..His very blood washing away all which we have done wrong.  However, was this the end of the road for Jesus' accomplishments?  Far from it.  Standing at the cross, we realize that as Jesus gave His life for us, His desire was also to remain in us {Galations 2:20}.  From the cross we don't see one man crucified...but two.  For I also was there at the cross with Jesus.  Not only did He become sin for my sake, but my life was also taken that I would live with Him {Romans 6:8}.  That old man, which was once the center of so much guilt and shame I carried with me for so long, was put to death next to Jesus at the cross.  From the cross I don't see a finishing of my own race, but a begining of a new life in Christ Jesus.  I made a comment to a dear friend some time ago that the cross is not a ending...but a begining.  Indeed, we can seperate not only our knowledge of Jesus, but His work in us before and after the events at the cross.  Before the cross, I was a sinner in need of a Savior {Romans 3:23}.  On the other side of the cross I stood victorious as Christ who now lives in me.  That sin debt I once battled before the cross had been paid in full by Jesus.  As a result, sin no longer dominates my life {Romans 6:11}.  My view from the cross has even changed my view of who I am.

41And He was withdrawn from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and prayed, 42saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.” 43Then an angel appeared to Him from heaven, strengthening Him.
Luke 22: 41 - 43 NKJV

I believe that the cross of Jesus is the most significant events in history.  From the cross many were transformed from sin to eternal life.  This was not by accident.  God most certainly carried His plan out to perfection.  Why would God do this?  I heard a comment this weekend that made me appreciate the view from the cross that much more.  That man was inherently sinful.  If you notice, I have used the past tense in reflecting on this comment.  How many of you have been there, in the pains of our  guilt and shame we feel after we gave into sin once again?  That is precisely why we, I, needed the cross.  Do you wonder which side of the cross you're on?  What freedom is there in a life lived without Christ?  At the cross there is no need for me to wonder where I stand with Jesus.  It is Christ who now lives in me.  I firmly believe that Gods intention is that all of His children would see their lives in Christ from the cross looking forward.  The cross of Jesus is not the end, but the begining of a new creation in Christ Jesus. 

~Scott~



No comments: