Saturday, June 8, 2019

Mistaken Identity



13For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb.14I will praise You, for gI am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. 15My hframe was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 16Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.
Psalm 139: 13 - 16 NKJV

If you were to pass me on the street, you wouldn't know me.  I would venture to say that even if we were formally introduced that you would fail to recognize who it is that I am.  Oh, sure, you know me for my mistakes, arguments and for those times when I make a complete and utter fool of myself.  Sorry, man, but that's not me.  Never has been.  It amazes me at how it easy it was for a man to believe in the most ridiculous case of mistaken identity ever conceived.  Then again, it wasn't man who conceived it in the first place.  No, for that we can look no further than the one who proposed such a outrageous notion to Eve, that she could be like God {Genesis 3:3}.  What would you do?  What would you do if someone approached you and told you that you...could be like God?  Well, I'm sure that most people would suddenly conjure up images of how they would create their empire, but it isn't about that at all.  I'll take another approach, what if your father approached you and told you that you could be part of his family.  How many of you would disagree with that?  Well, Eve did.  Then again, I'm of the opinion that Adam and Eve really didn't know their true indentities either.  That's what made it so easy for the accuser to suggest one of the biggest lies in history to Adam and Eve {Genesis 3: 4-5}.  See, what Eve failed to realize that what satan was suggesting...was already true.  Yes, Eve was already like God.  She already had Gods dna, His lineage, all of that.  Remember that it was God who breathed into His creation (Adam and Eve) the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  Yes, Eve, you were already like God!  This is why I say that Eve most likely wasn't aware of her lineage, or she may have very well rebuked satan on the spot.  To Eve, her relationship with her creator was simply life as it was.  She had known no other way.  All it took was one well placed suggestion to throw all of humanity out of whack.  So it is that most christians and non christians alike still live.  Indeed, people often speak of the fall as if it were the final scene of a movie instead of the begining.  It was never our Lords intention to have us live in the mistakes of our past.  That just isn't who we are.

 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV

That is one important truth you need know if you ever meet me, the old things have passed away.  I will be the first one to admit that I am harder on myself than anyone I have ever met.  I'm not proud of that, but it's who I am.  See, even I at times fail to see who it is that I really am.  There are those times when I hardly recognize myself.  It is in these times that I am reminded of my lineage.  Not only am I Gods child, but it is He who lives through me {Galations 2:20}.  Remember the furor from the Jewish Pharisees when Jesus proclaimed to them that He was the very Son of God?  Was He lying?  Of course not, but the Pharisees were not seeing the big picture.  I have a good friend who has expressed a reluctance to tell it like it is, that he is Christ.  I get it.  Can you imagine a group of people walking down the street claiming they were Jesus?  I bet the first thing you would do is look for some crisis intervention professional to deal with these obviously crazy people.  So, that's where we stand as christians today, afraid to proclaim who it is we are.  This is why I mentioned that those who met me for the first time would not know who I was.  Sure, you know me from my mistakes and actions, but is that really who I am?  My heavenly Father doesn't believe so.  In my Fathers eyes I am more than the sum of my victories and shortcomings.  No, in His eyes I am His child and the heir to His glory.  When I look back to see my mistakes people remind me of, it is God who whispers to me that He has wiped them away.  THAT is who I truly am. 

19Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body gand in your spirit, which are God’s.
1 Corinthians 6:19 - 20 NKJV

~Scott~



No comments: