Saturday, June 22, 2019

The Man I Am



17But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1 Corinthians 6: 17 NKJV

There are those out there among us who will spend a entire lifetime on that journey to discover who they are.  It's a interesting question, and it makes for some good stories, but it makes me wonder as to why someone would work so long and so hard for self discovery.  I remember watching a movie some time ago about one mans journey of self discovery that led him the world over.  I get it.  I will say that my own path didn't last as long as some others, but I have known my own journey.  Why is it important for someone to know who it is they are?  Well, I'm guessing it has something to do with self identity.  Now, I'm not talking simply about our family ties here, it goes deeper than that.  Knowing who it is we are is the framework of who we are as a person, how we feel and, ultimately, how we act.  I knew a man who spent a good amount of time worrying and searching for his own identity.  He had gone through a rough childhood of abuse and really didn't feel connected to his own family.  So, he searched for who his own identity and purpose.  I recall mentioning the church thing to him, but he never seemed to interested in that.  He eventually came into one of those feel good eastern religions and seemed be content with that.  Did he find who he really was?  Maybe.  This is what's funny about our search to find out who we are, it can mean different things to different people.  That is exactly why each time I see some motivational show on tv claiming that they've found the path to our true identity that I call it a load of Bernie Sanders (BS).  My own search will be different from another persons, that's the way it is.  I have a friend who, whenever my own flesh will make the wrong behavior choice, will ask me a simple question, "Is that who you really are?"  See, he himself knows who I am, and so do I. 

 17“the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18“I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
John 14: 17 - 18 NKJV

So, who am I?  I am Scott, child of God and bearer of His inheritance.  Yes, my heavenly Father and myself are one in the same.  I know this because it is Christ Jesus who lives through me {Galations 2:20}.  How much better of a future can that hold?  Knowing in your heart that despite all of the turmoil which this world brings us, that we can be assured that Jesus can be closer to us than we could have ever imagined.  That we are no longer indentified and connected to the sin which once defined us.  That we can walk each and every day...as Christ who is in us.  If I've made it sound like my own journey to knowing who I really am has been easy think again.  Like most people, I searched to know the man I was.  However, I didn't really find out who I was until I learned who Jesus really was.  After all, to know Him is to know my heavenly Father.  Jesus is much more than the man who gave Himself for the forgiveness of my sins.  This is what most of us are missing as we come to learn about Him.  We see Jesus as a story in the bible, not on a more personal level.  The truth is, if we desire to learn who it is that we really are, then Christ Jesus is the starting point in our search.  After all, it is God (Jesus) who breathed into us the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  It is Jesus wo, knowing no sin, became sin on our behalf that our own relationship with Him would be restored {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  For without this selfless act of Christ, there could be no relationship with Him...or God.  Talk about being on an island all alone.  Like the man I used to know, my own younger years were not always ideal.  I struggled not to identify myself with my own father, as my parents were divorced when I was young.  In fact, I vowed to NEVER be the man my father was.  Well, it turns out that I wasn't.  We miay have shared our earthly bond, but that's where the similarity ends.  I became the man my own father SHOULD have been.  So, the question remains, do you know who you are?



20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: