Sunday, September 27, 2020

Negative Reinforcement

 




Do not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

Proverbs 23: 13 NKJV 


What have we done to ourselves?  Almost every night I see the news of crowds of young people marching in the streets and causing havoc.  Yes, in a way we have done this to ourselves.  For when I look at these entitled kids out there one thing is pretty obvious...they've never been told no.  Imagine going through your childhood where it really didn't matter if you did something wrong.  Where the worst discipline you could expect is a talk on how "we don't do those things."  Believe me, there is a reason why the author of the book of Proverbs advises parents to "not spare the rod" with their children {Proverbs 13:24}.  For once we do that, we show our children that there are no consequences for their own behavior.  The next thing you know, he's crying because something didn't go his way.  This isn't just a old testament issue, but a life experience issue.  I have a Christian friend who scoffed has scoffed at the idea of raising his children with proper discipline.  "That's for the old covenant" he'll tell me.  Then again, I've lost count of how many times he's told me of how undisciplined his kids are.  Anyone see a correlation here?  Now, I would never advocate for the physical abuse of a child.  There is absolutely no place in society for that, which is why there are strict penalties for such things.  However, I will admit that there is something to be said for the discipline of a child.  First, it lets them know that there are consequences for what they do.  Second, and this is often a hard one to swallow, it shows that you love them.  Wait, striking my child shows my love for him?  Yes!  The author of the book of Hebrews even goes so far as to say that the Lord disciplines those He loves {Hebrews 12:5-6}.  So, if God shows us His own love for us through discipline and correction, are we ourselves not able to love our own children through correction?  I'd say yes, despite the liberals out there who claim that any discipline is paramount to abuse.  


And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as sons:  "My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son who He receives."

Hebrews 12: 5 - 6 NKJV 


I recall that I was disciplined as a child, yet never abused.  I will never know what it is like to grow up without correction for my actions.  I don't need to, I see it all around me every day.  Young people who feel entitled to do whatever they feel good doing.  This is fine for them, because mom and dad never told them it wasn't.  Indeed, there are those parents out there who feel that any show of violence will somehow turn their child into a psychopath.  I get it.  While I'm not one to tell another person how to raise their children, I will point out the continued success of children being raised with firm boundaries in place.  I know that I will get some pushback, but I also know that the disciplining of our children is as vital as providing for their well being.  I wasn't one of those Christians who trembled at the thought of a God who would chasten me.  On the contrary, on those occasions which He did so only solidified in my heart the love that He had for me.  He loved me enough to show me the error of my own ways.  Why?  So that I would cease doing what He knew was bad for me.  I will be the first one to admit that God knows all too well what is best for me, even if I don't realize it myself a times.  Have there been times where I have questioned Him over His correction?  Absolutely.  However, I have never come away feeling anything less than loved by God.  This is the example the Lord sets for us to follow.  He loved us before we were born.  He loves us despite all we've done.  Finally, and this is a big one, God loves us for who we are.  Does He love us enough to show us correction?  Yes, He tells us that.  However, at the end of the day we are still His children created in our Fathers very image {Genesis 1:27}.  


~Scott~ 

1 comment:

Scotts Page said...

So, what are we to say of a God who, although He knows the error of our own behaviors, allows us to go our own way? Well, we've seen this as well. Paul tells us of this in Romans 1: 24. Does this mean that God somehow has turned His back on us? Never. Does our wrong behavior grieve Him? Absolutely. A comment I made to a friend not too long ago is that we need to get to the point where we refuse to behave badly...knowing that it grieves the Father.

~Scott~