Friday, September 11, 2020

Why Worry?




 But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  Therefore tell her to help me."  And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things."

Luke 10: 40 - 41 NKJV 


Martha was in a tough spot.  Jesus was in the house, along with some of His followers, and Martha had gotten stuck with the chores of serving this crowd.  Predictably, as we so often do, Martha became worried that she would not be able to handle her duties.  Predictably also, she approached Jesus that He might encourage her sister Mary to help her.  However, Jesus already knew full well the severity of the situation at hand.  His response?  Martha, you worry too much.  Jesus knew that young Mary was doing the right thing by listening to her Lords teaching.  He also knew that the mountain Martha envisioned was but a molehill.  This week, I have faced many a worry, as have others here in the Northwest as we struggle with the devastating wildfires which have afflicted Oregon for the past few weeks.  As I write this morning, the fire evacuation line is about 18 miles from me.  Yes, I might have reason to worry considering all that is going on around me.  However, I also have definite reason to believe that many prayers are being answered as we wake up this morning.  Yes, the fires are still burning, but overnight we have seen a change in the weather pattern from hot, dry winds to cooler temperatures and higher humidity.  Anyone who knows a thing or two about wildfires knows that cool, humid weather is not conducive to fires.  Humidity in the air means moisture, and moisture, of course, means precipitation.  Precipitation which is sorely needed for an area struggling to deal with the calamity of these fires.  As Martha worried about her duties, so I have been worried about what the future holds.  Of course, I already know where my future in Jesus stands, but somehow we always revert back to our old ways.  What would Jesus say to me?  Well, I have a feeling that He might tell me tenderly that indeed I worry about many things.  I already know that.  I also know that there is a good reason that Jesus tells us in the sermon on the mount not to worry.  For with worry comes anxiety.  With anxiety comes a myriad of health issues as well.  Jesus is right, we do worry about far too many things. 


"So why do you worry about clothing?  Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?  Therefore do not worry, saying, 'what shall we eat?'  or 'What shall we drink?' or 'what shall we wear?'  For after all these things the Gentiles seek.  For your heavenly Father knows that you need all of these things."

Matthew 6: 28 - 32 NKJV 


It's no surprise that with all which has been happening this week that I have found myself with a few minor physical impairments due to the worry which has gone along with all which is going on around me.  I worry...but I am still safe.  I worry...but I see others who have lost all they own.  I worry...as friends have been forced to evacuate their homes.  Indeed, Scott, you worry about far too many things.  Is there anything that I pray for which God does not already have in His hands?  Are there any needs I ask of Him which He already is not intimately aware of?  Like it or not, I am a intimate part of my creator.  For it is Jesus who lives in me {Galatians 2:20}.  If Christ is indeed in me, what needs which I have is He not aware of?  Would we ever know Jesus to come before the Father and say, "Father, this guy Scott needs something and I never saw it coming."  I can honestly say, that would never happen.  To have the realization of Christ in me is to also have the realization that I live as Him.  Therefore, what needs would Jesus not be keenly aware of?  Of course, we then enter into the discussion between wants and needs, which we will save for another post.  As Jesus points out in the sermon on the mount, the Father is already well aware of all we need to survive even before we ask Him.  Now, I do have a few friends who hold tight to the tradition of coming to the Father in prayer for a lot of the things they need as it 'makes them feel better.'  I will never begrudge them that.  However, I also know that even before my anxiety begins, my heavenly Father already knows what I need.  You think I'd learn by now.  


~Scott~  

No comments: