Saturday, August 10, 2024

Jesus Without Boundaries

 




Erasing the handwriting of the decrees against us, which was hostile to us, and has taken it away out of the midst, nailing it to the cross. 

Paul to the Colossians 2: 14, Concordant New Testament  


One of the few simple rules which I try to abide by is to not find myself in discussions concerning religion or politics if I can help it at all.  Granted, among friends and those which I know well, I can bend these rules a bit without the threat of a heated discussion taking place.  However, in the presence of someone I don't know well, these topics tend to illicit strong reactions.  It's not that discussing religion and politics is a bad thing, but the reactions which they often entail should be avoided.  It's no secret that the current political climate in our nation has led to division which some have not seen since the 1960's.  While I was too young to remember these times, history has to us spoken the story of those troubled times.  But why would I include religion in my list of forbidden topics?  Why would I shy from talking about Jesus and church?  To be clear, I NEVER shy from speaking Jesus unto others.  However, whenever I do speak of Him to those around me, I remove religion from the conversation entirely.  For what has man made  religion to do with the truth of Christ Jesus?  That's right, what do the traditions and teachings of man have to do with Jesus?  Jesus never asked Gods children to follow a church.  No, He asked them to follow Him.  I would dare say that organized religion runs from the truth of Christ Jesus.  What is the truth?  Religion teaches us that Jesus died upon the cross and was raised up three days later.  I don't dispute this.  But religion also teaches us that Jesus ascended into heaven and is seated at the Fathers side {Lukes Account 24:51}.  Too many people see this as the end of Christs activity on earth.  That He now simply resides in heaven watching over Gods children.  A dear friend of mine recently pointed out that some see Jesus as the ultimate tattle tale, pointing out to the Father the bad things which we do.  For its part, Christian religion views the Father and Jesus as being somehow separated from our lives.  This, of course, is a false statement originated from the lie spoken by the deceiver in the garden {Genesis 3:4-6}.  Adam and Eve were deceived by the lie of Satan that they could "Be like God."  The truth is, as His creation, they already WERE like Him.  Created in the Father's exact image {Genesis 1:27}.  At least religion got that right. 


"So no, I'm not too big on religion...and not very fond of politics or economics either...and why should I be?  They are the man-created trinity of terrors that ravages the earth and deceives those I care about.  What mental turmoil and anxiety does any human face that is not related to one of those three?"

William P Young, The Shack 


I have a good friend who I refuse to discuss anything concerning religion with.  Being raised in the Eastern Orthodox religion, he often has been very strenuous over my beliefs of the truth of Christ Jesus.  His thoughts are carefully structured to fall in line with the teachings he's learned.  So, when I have broached the subject of the indwelling Christ, which the apostle Paul speaks to in Galatians {Paul to the Galatians 2:20}, my friend vehemently objects.  His position being that Jesus could never reside in sinful man.  Yet it is Christ who has given Himself to remove sin {Paul to the Corinthians (2) 5:21}.  It is Jesus who died once for all of mankind {Paul to the Romans 6:10}.  Despite the scriptures speaking otherwise, my friend holds to the belief that he still lives with sin.  Therefore, I avoid speaking to him concerning issues of religion.  My friendship with him means more to me than winning any argument.  A dear friend recently made the comment that we need only allow the Father to lead us into conversation with about Jesus with those around us.  I would agree.  My prayer is that the Father would open that door to speak Jesus to my friend without conflict.  Far too many people view Christians as bible thumping, hell speaking zealots who try to scare people into conversion.  This is what religion has given to us.  In my opinion, the love and mercy of Christ has no place in the guilt and condemnation of organized religion.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: