Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Just another day

Today is Wednesday, just another day here in Portland, Oregon. I look around for the latest news and I'm amazed at all the goings on. Seems a dog named Casey fell off a 100 foot trail and a large, Mount Hood type rescue effort was conducted to save the pooches life. In the end, despite all these efforts, Casey had to be put down. I'll be looking for just such an all out effort the next time a dog or cat gets hit by a car. A representative for Dove Lewis animal hospital was interviewed by KXL's Lars Larson and danced around most of the pointed questions asked of her. Personaly, and I stress I am fond of animals, this type of large rescue effort was more than likely overkill. I have had pets that have been lost to illness, accidents and human error. I felt the loss of each one, but I moved on. When my cat Charlie got caught up a tree by a rampant Blue Jay, there was no large coordinated rescue effort. Oh, and I'm sure that rescue was not free, they never are. On the lighter side, we can now get our morning coffee here in Portland served up by a bevy of bikini clad Baristas. What a country! Personaly, I'm holding out for bikini clad DMV clerks.
On the Presidential trail, the messiah Obama continues to push his message on why he is the chosen one. His recent trip overseas to attempt to alleviate all of our fears that he REALY IS capable of a decent foreign policy turned a few heads to say the least. His refusal to visit wounded troops in Germany, however, was a slap in the face to those who have given their all for this country. I found it funny yesterday while Fox News was covering the 5.8 magnitude tremor that, in the words of one geologist interviewed, "None of us saw this coming". While all of this was going on, CNN had groundbreaking coverage of John McCains skin cancer tests complete with film of a band aid on his cheek. I guess that puts to rest all the negative critisism of Fox News huh? The way I see it, a major quake dwarfs CNN's attempt to make John McCain look weak.
Yes, Wednesday is turning out to be pretty good. Gas prices are down 20 cents in just under a month. Those greedy oil companies must be giving us all a break, right? So, to those of you who have gone into business for yourselves I pose these questions. How many of you went into business to lose money? How many of you went into business to share your profits with others? Remember these questions the next time our do nothing Congress (you know, the legislative branch of our Government with the approval rating WORSE than George Bush) drags the executives from the oil companies up to Capital Hill to DEMAND why they feel they can make a profit with their own business. Better yet, write your local member of Congress and ask whatever became of the 30 day plan to lower gas prices that was touted by Nancy Pelosi as the Democrats took over a majority in Congress. For my money, I still prefer the Bikini Baristas.

No comments: