Saturday, October 15, 2016

Life Light

"You are the light of the world.  A City that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5: 14-16 NKJV

Growing up, I often wondered that, with Jesus dead, how in the world were there so many christians out there who still believed in Him.  I mean, two thousand years is a long time to hold a memory of someone.  Of course, these were not only the days of my physical youth, but my spiritual youth as well.  In fact, most of what I learned about Jesus came from Sunday school classes I would attend.  This was not a bad thing by any means, for it taught me the basics of the faith I have today.  There is one song in particular which I remember singing as a child which I have thought about recently.  This childrens song, "This little light," carries a wonderous message even for adults.  I remember singing, "This little light of mine...I'm gonna let it shine."  I didn't know it at the time, but the very words of this childrens gospel song are a huge reason why others see Jesus as alive even today.  For He is within us.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

I have spent much time and effort in my writing attempting to explain the very truth that we have today in Christ Jesus.  That truth is that we today live, breathe and function AS JESUS.  The fact is, Christ Jesus is our life and our existance.  For without Him we would not have our being.  Knowing this truth that Christ Jesus is such a intimate part of us, how is it that we are to share Jesus with others?  Well, as Jesus told those assembled on the Mount of Olives in Matthew 5, we are to let the "Light" of Christ Jesus which is within us shine brightly for those around us to see.  WE who have come to know Christ Jesus are that city on a hill through which the light of Jesus shines.  For it is indeed through us that others will see the love of our heavenly Father who is in us.  How many times have I heard the story of the christian who, when faced with a unbeliever, would have that person tell them, "There's something different about you."  What is this that others ultimately see in us?  THAT, is Christ Jesus.  Indeed if we live AS Christ Jesus, then He will show Himself through us.  If we are to let our light shine before others, it is not us, but our heavenly Father who is glorified.  For it is only through the love of our heavenly Father how Jesus has come to dwell within us.

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.  For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5: 6-8 NKJV

What love, that our heavenly Father would redeem His children from the sin bondage which we once faced.  What grace, that instead of counting each and every sin against us, that Christ Jesus would take that sin upon HImself {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  This is the light of Christ Jesus which shines from us.

~Scott~


No comments: