Sunday, December 11, 2016

When There Is No God

1He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 2I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.” 3Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler And from the perilous pestilence. 4He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. 5You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day, 6Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday. 7A thousand may fall at your side, And ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you. 8Only with your eyes shall you look, And see the reward of the wicked. 9Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place, 10No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; 11For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways. 12In their hands they shall cbear you up, Lest you ddash your foot against a stone. 13You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra, The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot. 14“Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name. 15He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. 16With flong life I will satisfy him, And show him My salvation.”
Psalm 91 NKJV

I read a Wayne Jacobsen post recently that got me thinking of some of the experiences I've had and of how I have often wondered just where my heavenly Father was in my most troubling times.  The post recounted how we, as christians, can and should be an anchor of encouragement and kindness to those who are going through tough circumstances in their lives.  How do we say "The right thing" to someone who is in trouble or hurting?  This has always been a challange for me, as I was raised with the ideal that in order to understand someones circumstances I need to walk that mile in their shoes.  How is it I could understand anothers pain if I myself didn't understand that pain they were feeling.  I've always believed that one of the worst things we can do as christians is to throw bible verses at someone who is truly hurting inside.  For I have been in that situation before and it did very little to make me comfortable thank you very much.  To me, simply quoting scripture to someone who is hurting is a impersonal approach to helping another.  In our hearts we may feel as if we are helping that other person as best we can, but all we may be doing is increasing their agony and lonliness.  I don't believe this is done intentionaly, but by the heart that truly wants to reach out and help.  However, we ourselves may not know the best way to comfort someone.  As I said, how is it that I can understand what someone is going through unless I understand their situation?

10For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.” 14How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bpreach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!” 16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?” 17So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Romans 10: 10 - 17 NKJV

I have always admired my friend Dennis for his ability to bring comfort to others who are hurting.  Perhaps his years in ministry have served him well in this area.  There have been more than a few situations in my own life when I have turned to him for guidance and comfort and have always been glad I did.  I believe that pastor is rare who can truly place themselves into the situation of someone who is hurting and bring comfort to them.  This is truly an area where I need experience.  Sure, there are a few paths I've walked where I can bring comfort to others who are experiencing the same difficulties I've had in my life.  For those who have lost a loved one or know the pain of growing up in a single parent household, these are shoes which I've walked in.  Does that mean that I have a heart for those who are enduring these situations?  Maybe, or maybe it's just that I already know and have experienced the pain t brings.  I've been the one who has been hurting inside and wondering why there is no God to help me.  Yes, I've felt that way as I'm sure many of us have.  How is it that we comfort someone where the pain in their heart is one where they feel abandoned a God who has promised to never leave them or forsake them?  Obviously, I know that these feelings are simply reactionary to our circumstances, but in the midst of our pain, they often come at us like a freight train.  Our hearts may cry out to God, but our flesh will wonder, "What God is there?"  The days after my mother passed were some of the darkest I've had.  I had watched her health falter and was with her in the hospital during her final days as well.  Not something I wanted.  However, as I went about making plans for her memorial I was struck by a message which I'm sure my heavenly Father meant for me.  I had known that one of my mothers favorite passages was Psalm 91, so it was a obvous to me that I should use it in her memory.  That passage which had comforted her so often, now comforted me in my time of need.

~Scott~
Thank you Dennis 

No comments: