Saturday, September 14, 2019

Worst God Ever



6“Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: ‘I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God.
Issaiah 44: 6 NKJV

I have a freind who, in a moment of disagreement with his pastor, proclaimed "you're a good pastor, but you suck at being God."  To this I would agree.  How many of us, on occasion, have come to the cold reality that we really are no good at being God?  Now, when I say 'being God," I'm refering to those times when we take the reigns meant to be pulled by God and try to do it all by ourselves?  I admit I've been there more often than I care to admit.  I'm the worst God ever.  There is a reason that God instructed the Isrealites that they should "Have no other Gods before Me" {Exodus 20:3}.  Why would we even want to?  Why would we, as Gods children, seek a counterfeit Lord?  Yet we do it all the time.  Not only did the Isrealites do it, but thousands of generations after them did it as well.  Somehow, every now and then I think to myself that just maybe I could do it better than God could.  The author Norman Grubb would explain this away as Gods children seeing themselves as thinking that we are independent from God.  This "Independent self" line of thought is not only in error, but gives us a false view and negative view of ourselves.  After all, who am I without God?  He is the very meaning of my existence.  It was God who breathed into me the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  It is God whose Spirit dwells in me today {Galations 2:20}.  Yet, all too often we skew the lines of our relationship with our heavenly Father.  I see ourselves as somehow seperate from God.  With God being enthroned in heaven and His children living our lives here on earth totally seperate from Him.  This is a lie.  It is the very same lie perpetrated by the accuser in the Garden when he sowed the seeds of doubt in Eve {Genesis 3:1}.  As he offered htat forbidden fruit to Eve, satan asked her "Did God really say?"  This is at the very root of our seperation thinking...and why we really suck at being God.

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God.3All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
John 1: 1 - 5 NKJV

I don't believe that I would be the worst God ever if I would just trust in Him to work all that He will.  However, sometimes my gut gnaws at me and I feel that maybe I could do it better myself.  This could be seen as either a spirit of independence or of rebellion.  Independence to live our own lives, or rebellion against God.  I would say that our seperation thinking is both of these.  There is a reason we see as one of the ten commandments that we're to have no other Gods before Him.  He is our one and only.  He is our Alpha and Omega, our First and Last and the Begining and the End {Revelation 22:13}.  He was even before we came into being.  Not only that, He is the very reason for my existance {Genesis 1:27}.  Without Him, there can be no me.  How, then, can I willfully say that I am seperate from He who created me?  One of lifes mysteries I guess.  I chalk it down to our relentless desire to be independent.  To live our own lives.  Folks, despite all that seperation thinking crap, we ARE living our own lives.  The fact that we are living our lives in Him should give us great joy instead of frustration.  You can tell me all day long that you exist independent from God, but I know the dirty little secret most people keep.  When the rubber meets the road and we tremble in the midst of lifes situations the first words far too many people utter are "HELP ME GOD!"  Imagine that.  How awesome a God have we that, despite our rebellion, lovingly draws us to Him.  Of course, all too often we simply don't realize His presence.  Here's a trick question, are all of Gods children saved?  Indeed, Jesus provided for the salvation of many {John 3:16-17}.  Think of this, what if ALL of our heavenly Fathers children are saved but they simply fail to realize it?  The fault doesn't lie with God, but in our desire to do things our own way.  Which is why we really suck at being God.

~Scott~

No comments: