Saturday, April 10, 2021

Ego Eimi




 And He said to them, "Why are you troubled?  And why do doubts arise in your hearts?  "Behold My feet, that it is I myself.  Handle Me and see, for a Spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have."

Luke 24: 38 - 39 NKJV 


It must have been tough for the disciples of Jesus to accept the man who was standing before them claiming to be their former teacher.  Let's face it, not that long ago many of them had witnessed Jesus die at the hands of the Romans and Jewish religious authorities.  Although He had spoken many times as to  what must take place in His life, these men still were late for lunch when it came time to accepting what Jesus had predicted as true.  What I love about these scriptures from the physician Luke is that Jesus does not condemn His friends for their unbelief.  Instead He shares a meal with them by the shore of the sea.  One of my bibles declares the scriptures immediately following Jesus sharing this meal with His disciples as His "Ascension."  We can get into exactly what it is that is taught about this journey of Jesus at some point, but for now we see Him leaving His friends.  Jesus leaving?  Yes, that is what we're told in these scriptures.  We're told that Jesus "Was parted from them and carried up into heaven" {Luke 24:51}.  My first thought in reading this verse is that Jesus is gone.  He is no longer around, but has separated Himself from us by rising to be with the Father in heaven.  Now, if you are a hardcore church teaching believer, you will indeed accept this as truth.  But what if that which we have been told about the after ascension life of Jesus is not true at all?  Would you believe?  Or, would you simply be like one of the unbelieving disciples by the sea on that ascension morning?  Personally, I find it far more encouraging to hold on to the trust and belief in the truth about Christ Jesus.  The truth which tells me that Jesus is still very much part of my life.  


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV


How much closer can I be to Jesus than to have that realization that He is in me?  I don't need to follow church teachings which encourage me to "Be like Jesus."  I AM Him.  If you have ever heard of this truth of Christ in you and have struggled to accept it, join the club.  It is this truth which the apostle Paul deemed the 'mystery among the Gentiles" {Colossians 1:27}.  That is, people in Paul's day found that accepting the truth of Christ in us just as difficult as those of us today.  Does this make the reality of Jesus any less true?  Absolutely not.  Do I, at times, still feel like one of Jesus' disciples talking to Him by the sea that morning?  Absolutely.  Growing up in the realm of Christian teaching, it was difficult for me to accept that Jesus could be within me.  Yet, here He is.  We know that God has reconciled us to Him through Christ Jesus {2 Corinthians 5:18}.  We also know that through Him that we will be one with the Father {John 17:21}.  So, yes, even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I should have no fear...for Christ is with me.  It is something which we can proclaim with all confidence.  Who am I?  EGO EIMI!  


To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 1:27 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: