Who Himself carries up our sins in His body on the pole, that, coming away from sins, we should be living for righteousness, by Whose welt you were healed
Peter to the Dispersion (1) 2: 24, Concordant New Testament Translation
When I look at the word atonement, I think of one thing, guilt. That I must atone for something I have done. Ironically, this is a major part of the teaching and preachings of the church. That man has sinned and that he will one or another make atonement for those sins, most likely through suffering an eternity in hell. This is what I was taught growing up in the church. I had a discussion gym friend the other day on this very issue. He was annoyed at how many times he has been told to pray for the Lords forgiveness for his sin. "Hasn't Jesus bled and died for my forgiveness already?" The truth is he's spot on, Jesus has indeed already died to sin {Paul to the Romans 6:10}. The apostle Peter, in his dispersion, speaks to the truth that Christ Jesus "Carries up our sins in his body on the pole" {Peter to the Dispersion (1) 2:24}. That's right, Jesus BECAME that sin which we once carried on the cross. Not only that, but the apostle Paul speaks to the truth that we ourselves perished with Jesus on that cross {Paul to the Galatians 2:20, Paul to the Romans 6:6}. That our old sin nature which we once carried with us is no more. We've died to that. So, tell me, what is it that we still need to atone for? What sin is there that remains which Christ Jesus Himself has not suffered and died for? It is for this reason that I speak to the church teaching of atonement for sin as a bold faced lie. This falls in line with the same lie spoken by the church which proclaims that it is our sin which has separated us from God. How is it that we could ever be separated from He Who created us in His likeness {Genesis 1:27}? Yet this is the lie which continues to be preached from the pulpits of the church. Some might, and indeed have, asked me why it is that I hammer this point so often in my posts. Well, those within the church have been speaking to this lie for thousands of years, so I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time by speaking the truth which we have in the Fathers love. Every day I run across people who have been fed the lie for so many years that they've come to believe it as being true. That God has distanced Himself from His beloved children. I get it. I was once fed that same lie as well.
The thing about speaking a lie is that if it is spoken often enough, it becomes seen as the truth eventually. This is what has happened to the teachings of the church. What has been lost in all of this is the truth which we have in the grace and forgiveness of God. Paul has spoken to the truth that we do not live under the condemnation of the law, but within the grace of the Father {Paul to the Romans 6:14}. If we indeed still needed to atone for sin, wouldn't Paul have mentioned this? But Paul takes this further when he speaks to the truth of our death with Christ Jesus to sin. That "We, who died to sin, how shall we still be living in it?" {Paul to the Romans 6:2}. Knowing this truth, what is it that we still need to atone for? This is the question I asked of my friend. I can understand his frustration, as I said, I've been there. I've sat alone in prayer many times, asking God why He still condemned me if Jesus had forgiven me. I know in my heart that there are still many believers out there who utter this same prayer every day. My prayer is that they will receive the same revelation of the truth which He has given unto me. It's this truth which I continue to speak to in these posts I write. Yes, there continue to be those who are critical of my belief in the truth, but the truth has yet to be revealed to them. This is the same revelation which was revealed unto the man Saul on that road to Damascus {Acts of the Apostles 9:1-5}. This is the truth which I speak, the truth of my life not separated, but within the love of the Father. The truth which Jesus Himself speaks to, of our life lived within the Father {Johns Account 14:20}. I believe that this is the truth spoken by Jesus which will set us free {Johns Account 8:31-32}.
Jesus, then, said to the Jews who believed Him, "If ever you should be remaining in My word, you are truly My disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will be making you free"
Johns Account 8: 31-32, Concordant New Testament Translation
~Scott~

No comments:
Post a Comment