Sunday, November 13, 2016

Calm In Chaos

4Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! 5Let your bgentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. 6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 4 - 7 NKJV

I don't think it's a big secret that there is a lot of chaos in our nation following our recent election.  No matter who you voted for on Tuesday, you're facing uncertainty over what our future holds.  This was, in fact, a part of our Sunday morning discussion this morning.  One of our guys shared a Facebook post of someone who was spewing some of the vile garbage about Donald Trump supporters.  Now, I give facebook as much credence as a gutter level National Enquirer rag, but many people are tuned into this social media giant.  I'm pretty sure that Mark Zuckerberg cares not in the least about your political views as long as he gets his money.  So, what is it that would cause someone to lash out in such a harsh way?  Well, Dennis pretty much nailed it on the head this morning when he suggested that ones fears have a lot to do with this type of reaction.  Here in Portland we have been witness to five straight nights of social unrest as protestors opposed to the election of Donald Trump have take to the streets in protest.  Saturday night alone, 71 people were arrested as the Portland Police Bureau cracked down on the unrest which has gripped our city.  Now, I wonder just what response I would get from these protestors if I asked them just one simple question.  What is it that you're afraid of?  For undoubedly fear is a prime motivator in the violent reactions of these people.  We also see this in our various relationships.  When one party is experiences fear in their heart, their reaction may take them to places that they normally wouldn't go.  Many have seen this in their marriages and friendships as well.  I've personally allowed my fears to rule my behavior from time to time, this is our human flesh in action.  How is it that we can see those fears which grip us from time to time before it boils over into harsh words or actions?  There is indeed another path to take when we are afraid.

1He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 2I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.” 3Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the afowler And from the perilous pestilence. 4He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and bbuckler. 5You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day, 6Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday. 7A thousand may fall at your side, And ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you. 8Only with your eyes shall you look, And see the reward of the wicked. 9Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place, 10No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; 11For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways. 12In their hands they shall cbear you up, Lest you ddash your foot against a stone. 13You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra, The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot. 14“Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will eset him on high, because he has known My name. 15He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. 16With flong life I will satisfy him, And show him My salvation.”
Psalm 91 NKJV

One of my favorite passages of scripture in times of fear and trouble is Psalm 91.  I would often find my mother turned to this passage during her times of distress as well.  It is here that David told of the trust which he had in the deliverance of his Lord.  It is obvious that this future king of Isreal had many trying times to deal with during his life.  So, where did he place his trust?  In God.  Likewise, when we ourselves are faced with those fears in our own heart we can do that very same thing.  Our flesh will indeed try to sway our reaction into one of anger and lashing out at those around us, but we have the example of Christ Jesus within us.  How did Jesus react to those who were persecuting Him?  Calmly, with His eyes upon the Father.  When His disciples came to Him in fear that night on the sea of Galilee in fear their boat would sink, what did Jesus do?  He arose and calmly rebuked the wind and waves which surrounded them.  The disciples were beside themselves, "Who is this that even the wind and waves obey Him?"  Who indeed.  I submit that when our fears tug at our hearts that we can, with our eyes on Christ Jesus who is within us, put those fears in perspective.  For with God nothing is impossible.
Some years ago my Minnesota Vikings had a assistant coach who the team wisely promoted to head coach when the opportunity arose to do so.  I had to that point never seen a man, more or less an NFL head coach wh displayed such a calm demeanor on his teams sideline.  No matter what the score was, his reaction did not change.  When we would lose or were the victims of another teams treachory, our coach was an example of calmness under pressure.  I have always admired him for that.  Eventually he moved on to win a super bowl and is now a network football analyst.  Along the way he would write a book which I feel described his personality and faith in Christ Jesus very well.  Tony Dungy, the author of "Quiet Strength," and now a member of the pro football hall of fame.

~Scott~

No comments: