Friday, November 11, 2016

Family Ties

4You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error. 7Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him.
1 John 4: 4 - 9 NKJV 

One of my struggles in dealing with the loss of my mother was the realization that I was without any real family upon her passing.  This is indeed a very lonely, empty feeling.  However, in my growth in Christ I have also come to realize that it is not my earthly family which defines just who I am.  For as the apostle John tells us in the book of first John, we are of God.  For it is God who gave the breath of life into us.  It is God who knew just who we were to be even before we were born.  However, John also makes reference to those who are in the world.  For to be in the world is to not know our heavenly Father or the gift which He has given us.  Even in Jesus' time, there were those who indeed rejected Him and His message.  They were of the world, for they did not hear Him.  We've all seen them among us every day, those who often mock and deny Christ Jesus.  This in no way means that they were not also created in our Lords image, for this is the image we were all created in.  However, do those who are in the world have that realization of just who they are?  I would doubt that they do.  For even I at one time doubted my holy citizenship in my heavenly Father.  Now, it is my belief that those who are of the world can also hear the word and truth of Christ Jesus and come to that realization that they also are children of God as we who know Christ are.  However, I believe that this realization will only come from our heavenly Fathers leading.  

1Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of aGod! Therefore the world does not know bus, because it did not know Him. 2Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
1 John 3: 1 - 3 NKJV 

One of the topics we were led to discuss this week was just how one is led to that realization of knowing just who they are in Christ Jesus.  From my own experience, I was not led to the discovery of this truth through church attendance or being a "good" christian soldier.  No, for my first knowledge of my true identity in Jesus had come from the leading of my dear friend Dennis.  Now, some time ago God had placed upon Dennis' heart that desire to show others the very truth of Christ in each of us.  I did not seek out Dennis' advice on this, it was Gods leading which ultimately led me to the truth of His Son.  So it is with those who are now in the world, who will be that voice which ultimately leads them to our Lords truth?  

29Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go near and overtake this chariot.” 30So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. 32The place in the Scripture which he read was this: “He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; And as a lamb before its shearer is silent, So He opened not His mouth. 33In His humiliation His justice was taken away, And who will declare His generation? For His life is taken from the earth.” 34So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?” 35Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him.
Acts 8: 29 - 35 NKJV 

In Acts 8, we see another example of this as God places it on Philips heart to preach the truth of Jesus to the Ethiopian traveler.  And so it is with us.  Did I have that realization of my true holy citizenship before it was revealed to me through a brother in Christ?  No.  Yes, our citizenship, our family ties are not with this world we live in, but with Christ Jesus.  For we were created through Him that we would be one with Him.

~Scott~ 

No comments: