Monday, November 21, 2016

Learning To Love

15and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again. 16Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 18Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 19that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not dimputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5: 15 - 19 NKJV

Jesus caused quite a commotion that day He instructed all who were listening the true act of forgiveness.  As He stood on that Mount of Olives in the midst of many who were yet stuck in their old covenant thinking, Jesus told us how to approach our enemies.  With an eye for an eye?  Hardly, for Jesus had something more pure in mind for those who chose to hear His words that day.  Bless those who curse you, pray for your enemies {Matthew 5:44}.  I can imagine the startled glances among those old covenant Jews who still firmly held to the laws of their fathers.  Of course, it is that same look of disbelief people today give when we ourselves are asked to forgive our enemies, to pray for those who persecute us.  We today have that seperation between the old and new covenants, but at times we like to stick close to those old rules.  If someone is treating us badly, it seems that our very first response is to ruffle our feathers, puff out our chests and assume we are going into battle.  Over what?  Over a missed parking space?  Over 5 minutes of lost time in a 24 hour day?  Come on, man!  I admit, I have been as guilty as anyone else when it comes to blessing and praying for my persecutors, but the call of Christ summons me to do just that.  Grudgingly, I often retrace my steps with my head hung low as I once again humble myself to forgive those who have wronged me.  Funny, as a young christian I often felt as if I was being disarmed whenever someone would mention those words of Jesus.  You want me to do WHAT?  As I look back now, in those instances it became more about me and less about the will of Christ.  My pride, my ego, my flesh sought to override the will of Jesus.  This is a dangerous undertaking indeed.  For one must wonder, why is it that Jesus gave us such instructions?  Well, I believe that this can be explained in one simple word...Love.  The apostle John illustrated this in 1 John as he tells us that he who does not love does not know God, for God is love {1 John 4:8}.

38“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39“But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40“If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41“And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42“Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. 43“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44o“But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45“that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46“For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47“And if you greet your pbrethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the qtax collectors do so?
Matthew 5: 38 - 47 NKJV

So, how is it that we cut through all the crap and learn to love once again?  I mean, you've seen what's out there, right?  The jerk who cuts you off in traffic, that egomaniac who thinks his opinion is the only one that matters?  Yeah, we've all seen them AND experienced them.  Could it be that God brings people such as this into our lives that we might learn to love again?  Would we learn to love the way Christ Jesus wants for us if not for those difficult people in our lives?  Probably not.  As I said, in the past my very first reaction to someone who wronged me was to prepare for battle.  That person was going to see things my way or else!  However, inevitably those words of Christ Jesus and the knowledge of who I truly am often bring me back to reality.  For the law of an eye for an eye has ultimately been abolished by Jesus at the cross.  The fact is, I believe that all who have accepted Christ Jesus into their hearts truly do know how to love.  To pray for those who persecute us and bless those who wrong us is something that will ultimately come naturally for those who are in Christ, for this is our true identity.  We who know God know love, for He first loved us.  Indeed, we also know how to show this love to others.  Through us the world around us will see the love of Christ.

~Scott~

No comments: