Friday, April 6, 2018

All We've Left Behind



6knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be adone away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.7For he who has died has been bfreed from sin. 8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him.10For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV

Wayne Gretzky, arguably one of the greatest hockey players the world has ever seen was once asked what he missed most about the game once he retired.  His response surprised more than a few fans.  The great one didn't long for more game winning moments, nor did he yearn for yet another championship to add to his already stacked resume.  No, what Wayne Gretzky missed most about the game he played so well for so many years were the teammates he'd left behind after he retired.  He missed hanging out with the guys he played with.  This had me wondering the other day of just what it is I will miss once I hit that magical retirement age.  I'm guessing that I could ask others just what they miss about that schedule which we all keep during our working years.  Like Wayne, I'm sure that I will miss that interaction I've had with those I've worked with for so long.  It's funny that those we've known for so long would suddenly become those we've left behind as we moved on to another chapter in our own lives.  However, this also got me to thinking of another part of us we've left behind long ago.  All too often we don't give that guy a too much of a thought, and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.  Yet we might still see him every now and then...if we ourselves decide to return to those days of yesterday before it was Christ Jesus who defined us.  He is our old man...and he's been put to death by Christ {Romans 6:6}.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV

Now, I mention that my old man, our old man, has been put to death by the work of Christ Jesus on the cross, yet there are times when I feel that I've once again resurrected him.  This in no way changes the fact that the old man has been put to death, only that I've chosen to once again acknowledge him instead of leaving him behind.  He's dead, no longer does he define who I am.  It is now Jesus who lives through me {Galations 2:20}.  What made me stop and think of this this week was how I responded in anger to someone I know for a silly reason.  After we parted I was struck by one thought...that was the OLD Scott!  Why in the world would I resurrect one that has been dead for so long?  Simply put, old habits die hard.  It can certainly be difficult for us to let go of some behaviors which we have clung to for so long.  They soon definately become a part of us.  Yet they will never define who we truly are.  Despite that old man revealing himself every now and then, that in no way changes who I am now in Jesus.  I take courage in that fact that I am quick to recognize the habits of the old man, and of the spirit of error (satan) who once had his grip on me.  Thankfully that is why he is the old man and not the new creation we have in Christ.  He is the one we've left behind.

5They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
1 John 4: 5 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: