Sunday, April 22, 2018

Where Religion Dies



1Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, 2saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’seat. 3“Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. 4“For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5“But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments. 6“They love the bbest places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, 7“greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi.’8“But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. 9“Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10“And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. 11“But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12“And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
Matthew 23: 1 - 12 NKJV

This week I came across a article in the local news which quoted a recent survey that ranked the least religious sections of our nation.  Well, it seems that the countrys left coast and the northeastern states are some of the least religious states in the country.  Here in Oregon, 48 percent of those polled claimed that religion was not that important to them.  On the other hand, 28 percent said that they considered themselves to be very religious while 25 percent claimed to be moderately religious.  Of course, this does not surprise me too much at all having lived on the west coast for more than a few years.  I would, however, be very interested in seeing the questions which were asked of those who participated in this recent gallup poll.  If they were simply asked how religious they considered themselves then you may expect some pretty straight forward answers.  I mean, despite growing in a deeper relationship with Christ and the Father over time, I don't consider myself to be all too religious in the common sense of the word.  I don't have a church home, I don't sing praise and worship songs every sunday and the only pulpit pounder sermons I have heard lately have been on radio broadcasts.  If being "religious" means that one is fairly active in church attendance and participation, then I am far from being religious at all.  However, if we associate being religious with knowing the Father, with having that relationship with Christ Jesus, then I might be considered a religious zealot.  Like I said, I would love to see the questions which those who responded to this recent poll were asked about their religious beliefs.  All too often we associate religion with a building and the traditions of that religion we claim to follow.  This is why I am not too surprised when I hear that people associate themselves more with being "spiritual" than religious.  I can guarantee you such a question was not on that poll.  So, what is to blame for this decline in religious participation in a nation which was built upon and by God fearing people?  Well, to that queston I will say that we have been our own worst enemy.

Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you: 24“God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25“Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. 26“And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, 27“so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us"
Acts 17: 23 - 27 NKJV

I have known for some time that I was not alone in my frustration with the institutional church which we've come to know over thousands of years.  Over time, I had grown tired of having to perform a certain way in order to achieve the love of my heavenly Father.  I was tired of asking for His forgiveness over and over for sins which Christ Jesus had bled and died to wipe away from my life.  I guess the breaking point for me came one easter sunday when the pastor spoke his sermon of how Jesus died, rose from the dead and now sits in heaven at the right hand of the Father in judgement.  Really?  What part of "I am with you always" didn't he understand?  Keep in mind, this is not the Father speaking this seperation between Himself and His creation, but we ourselves.  Now, if I were to conduct a survey to see just how "religious" our nation is I would ask a few key questions.  First and foremost, I would inquire if you believe in God.  The next question would be a key one.  How do you see Christ Jesus?  That is, what is your view of Him?  I'm sure I would get more than a few different answers because this is a loaded question.  I'm not interested in how you feel about a man made religion.  No, I want to know how you feel personally about Christ and the Father.  Ask anyone this question and I can guarantee that you will get to the heart of how they feel.  Away from the constraints and traditions of the religion we've propped up for so long, I'm guessing that many would speak what is on their own heart.  Do I consider myself to be religious?  Not that much.  However, I do believe in God and the risen Christ who took that sin punishment for me.  I also believe that I am not apart from Jesus, but that He lives through me {Galations 2:20}.  My God is not a God only on sunday and only to those who gather in "Gods house."  No, the God I know reveals and opens Himself to all who come to Him.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: