Sunday, April 29, 2018

Our Jesus Experience



20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV 

The question was raised among our group this week if we can ever see Christ Jesus in our sins.  I guess it's a logical question.  For if we are to trust in what the apostle Paul describes in Galations that we are indeed dead to our old ways, replaced now by the Spirit of Christ in us.  But is Christ seen in our sins?  Is that same Jesus who lives through us each day also involved in those behaviors He certainly would never have any part in?  Perhaps, but I would mention one important fact at this point.  Which of our sins is Jesus supposedly involved in?  Was it not Jesus Himself who became sin on our behalf that our own sins would be wiped away {2 Corinthians 5:21}?  Did He somehow miss a few sins as He died on that cross?  Did Jesus take on only part of our sins unto Himself?  Are we yet still sinners saved by grace?  That reality of Christ Jesus in regards to our former selves is that we no longer live in it.  No, through Christ we are now dead to sin {Romans 6:6}.  So, how is it that Jesus can walk with us somewhere where we no longer venture?  For I am no longer a sinner, but one with Christ Jesus who lives through me.  Now, there might just be a few people out there who still cling to the old covenant belief that you and I are still prone to sin from time to time.  For the sake of argument let's just say that this is somehow true.  If I indeed am still prone to sin...am I then not dead to it as Paul tells us in Romans?  If sin is still within me, am I not then still a slave to that sin which Jesus gave His life to free me of?  Does anyone but me see a issue with this line of thought?  I would say that the issue of our sin, if indeed we still wrestle with it, is more of an issue of how we see ourselves and not of who we truly are.  The bigger question we should be asking is...how does Christ Jesus see us?  When He looks upon us, does He still see a sinner?  I'm thinking no.  So, if we wonder to ourselves if Jesus can be seen in our sins, we must first ask the question of if we continue to see ourselves as slaves to sin.  

6knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.7For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him.10For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV 

At first I thought my friends question was in some way convicting.  Was this my brothers way of nudging me that he saw something in my life that needed my attention?  Of course, that's not his style, so there must be something here for us to learn.  As I said, I feel that this issue of ongoing sin in our life is more an issue of how we still see ourselves than in who it is we truly are in Christ.  The truth is, Jesus does not see me as a sinner.  One of the prayers I all too often whisper to Jesus is that I would see myself as He sees me.  I want to see myself as Jesus sees me!  Believe me, there is no better self help program than knowing in your heart just how the Lord Jesus sees Gods children.  But, we already know the answer to that one anyway.  We are told that we are seen as sons of God {1 John 3:1}.  What greater love could someone ever give?  That doesn't seem like we are still seen by Jesus as sinners at all.  So, do we who are no longer slaves to sin still continue to dwell within it?  I would certainly say that we indeed stray into bad behavior on occassion, but are we defined by our sins?  NO!  In fact, I would venture that the only reason we continue to refer to our bad behavior as sin is simply because we have been taught for so long that we continue to sin despite Jesus have forgiven our sins past, present and future.  I would also say that the very word "sin" keeps more than a few pulpit pounders in busniness.  Can we just accept the fact that Jesus took our sins upon Himself and that we are no longer slaves to our old man?  Perhaps, but then what would that local pastor have to preach on every Sunday?

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.
John 17: 20 - 24 NKJV 

~Scott~ 

No comments: