Thursday, May 24, 2018

Arguing For Jesus


9Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11“The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12‘I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13“And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14“I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be dhumbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Luke 18: 9 - 14 NKJV

I heard a story the other day of a man who was driving around with a bumper sticker which proclaimed "God, save me from your followers."  At first I had a little laugh at this obvious jab at christinaity, until I realized the seriousness of the message.  See, I've been on the other side of that coin, trying in vain to argue someone into a life in Christ.  No, I never really got too many converts using this approach, but there was no mistake that people knew where I stood.  They call it apologetics, and it's premise is to use a "reasonable " argument to make others accept your point of view.  The funny thing is, every time I would hear a similar minded preacher on the radio I couldn't turn it off too fast.  Yet I had no reservations about using those same tactics in order to entice others into God.  I guess that you could say that I was kind of a door to door salesman for Jesus.  Now, if you were to ask me just how it was that I came to the realization of Christ in me, it wasn't because someone presented to me a argument which I couldn't ignore.  No, it was revealed to me through many conversations I had with a few christian brothers.  Like most people, I had questions about the man Jesus, and my brothers in Christ did their best to answer them.  Ultimately it was my heavenly Father who revealed His Son in me {Galations 2:20}.  There was no shouting, arguing or street corner evangelism.  I shudder to think what my own response would have been to such an approach.  Maybe I'd still be looking for Christ in my own life.  Since when has a well presented argument ever won someone to Jesus?  I mean, isn't the mere mention of the word "argument" showing that you are somehow forcing your opinion upon someone who might not want any part of it?  No matter, everyone MUST know the truth of Jesus!!  So we shout it from the rooftops hoping someone will hear us.  Lord, save us from your followers.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

A friend sent me a story the other week of a man who, apparently wanting to frighten people into their own salvation, suddenly stood up in a crowded movie theater and began shouting the virtues of knowing Jesus.  So, can anyone see just why I got a chuckle out of that bumper sticker on that dudes car?  Why do we, as christians, feel that it is our divine duty to argue Jesus unto others?  Can someone tell me anywhere in scripture where Jesus used this technique in His own ministry?  No, because He didn't need to.  See, actions speak so much louder than words, and those around Jesus could definately see His compassion and mercy to others.  Jesus had no need to shout His ministry to anyone.  He already knew who He was.  The trouble with most apologetics today is that we already know just who and where Christ Jesus is.  Not only are we assured that it is Jesus who lives through us, but that in due time He will be revealed unto those who seek Him.  I've long thought that the ministry of apologetics will only turn more people away from Jesus.  Think about it for a minute, does Jesus really need our help in getting His message across?  Does Jesus really need us to defend Him?  Trust me, the man Jesus is more than capable of standing on His own in His desire that all come to Him.  I did not come to that realization of Christ in me because someone presented to me a better argument.  Yet there was a time when I was taught that this was effective ministry.  The ministry of Jesus was not based on arguments, but on the teachings of the love and mercy of Jesus.  He healed the sick, gave hope to the lost and forgave the sins of the wicked.  Jesus did not come to seek the righteous, but to bring the lost unto the Father.  Somewhere along the way more than a few of us have lost His message.  When Christ Jesus is revealed in us, He will work through us that we would reach others with His message.  What better ministry is that?

25“But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26‘And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’ 27“Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, 28‘for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ 29“Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ 30“And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31“But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’ ”
Luke 16: 25 - 31 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: