Saturday, May 12, 2018

Seeing Past Ourselves



16Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
2 Corinthians 5: 16 - 17 NKJV 

I read this week a little peice of how, as christians, we sometimes get stuck on ourselves as we speak of Christ to others.  I'm sure we've all been there at one time or another, struggling with the prospect of speaking Christ to one whom we may not see as "desirable."  Whether it's the one who at one time hurt our feelings or one who we see as not exhibiting "christian like" behaviors.  There are times where I've held back speaking Jesus into those who I've felt somehow didn't deserve to hear of Him.  What's with that?  Well, let me tell you that I myself may not have been "worthy" by our worlds standards when the truth of Christ Jesus was spoken into my heart.  In fact, I'm sure that there have been plenty of people out there who have missed out on hearing of Jesus simply because I let myself get in my own way.  I wasn't seeing past myself.  I've often wondered just how Jesus would have seen me if were to have met Him on some lonely road in Galilee.  Of course, I already know that answer.  For Jesus would have seen me as He saw others who He came across, with love and mercy.  Despite our own shortcomings, it is Christ who cuts through it all to see each of us as we truly are in Him {Galations 2:20}.  We should never get it twisted, it is Christ Jesus who sees Gods children as we really are.  We are no longer sinners needing His redemption, He's already taken care of that at the cross.  It  is Jesus who took our own sin unto Himself that we should not suffer it's penalty {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  I hear all too often of the anology of the "filthy rags" we once wore, symbolizing the sin that once defined us.  Yet, through Christ our trespasses are now "white as snow"{Isaiah:18}.  See, Jesus never let his flesh get in the way of what His Spirit was doing.  Yet this is something we ourselves seem to struggle with from time to time.  I would think that Jesus never put restrictions upon whom we were to speak His truth to.  No, we're the ones who do that.  

26For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galations 3: 26 - 28 NKJV 

I heard some political pundit proclaim some time ago that democrats had "no need" to know about Jesus.  Really?  Well, if that's the case then more than a few of us may never have heard the saving truth of Jesus.  Thankfully, Jesus cuts through all of the crap to reach us right where we're at.  For that I am grateful.  How many times have I, echoing the words of the apostle Paul, claimed to be among the "worst" of sinners?{1 Peter 1:15}.  More than a few I'm sure.  However, I'm also assured that it is Jesus who loved me enough to put Himself in my place {1 John 4:19}.  So, if we are assured that it is Christ who lives through us today, why is it so difficult at times to see those around us as being in Christ as we are?  Believe me, there is no difference between me and that grumpy guy down the street, for Christ gave Himself for all.  That through Him ALL might be saved {John 3:16-17}.  As christians, we don't hold membership in a special club where only the few and the most righteous are allowed.  If this were the case then I may have never been allowed in myself.  Rest assured, we are not the judge of who enters into our heavenly Fathers presence.  I believe that God embraces all who come unto Him.  So, why wouldn't we feel the same way?  For if God embraced us in His love and mercy, shouldn't we also do unto those we meet?  If He loved us, so we ought to love one another {1 John 4:11}.  Easier said than done?  Perhaps.  I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult once we learn to see past ourselves to how Christ sees us.  How many hurt feelings could be avoided if we simply did that?

9In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
1 John 4: 9 - 11 NKJV 

~Scott~  

No comments: