Saturday, August 17, 2019

For Rent



10When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear and understand: 11“Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.”
Matthew 15: 10 - 11

I've spent a hell of a lot of time worrying about what other people thought of me.  Of course, nothing good ever came from all of this turmoil.  In fact, the only things I gained from this was anxiety and sickness.  Two things that I can do without anyway.  This past week, I was once again reminded of the power I sometimes give to those words of those around me.  My mother had a saying for people like that.  Whenever someone would do their best to spread whatever rumors they could she would say, "Why would I let someone rent space in my head?"  Well said.  What is it about the words of others where we feel that we need to give them any kind of credence?  I wish I knew.  Perhaps it's that desire within ourselves to be relevant and important.  To know more than the other guy.  Of course, like a sinister fly trap, many of us continue to get caught up in the rumor mill.  I have a certain coworker who excells at knowing everything about everyone.  The trouble is, once he knows something those around him know it as well.  Over time I've come to avoid telling him anything of importance.  Life is simpler that way.  So how are we to think of people such as this in our own christian perspective?  Well, first off, taking revenge on them is out of the question.  The Lord Jesus claims that it is not unblessed food or lack of adhering to rituals is not what defiles us.  No, we are defiled by the words which we say {Matthew 15:11}.  Of course, Jesus was speaking of the Jewish Pharisees, a group of people who were well versed in being critical of others.  However, like all which Jesus spoke, we can be assured that His words pertain to ourselves as well.  So, have you ever been defiled?  I know I have.  There have certainly been words which I have spoken about others which were, shall we say, unkind.  I'm not proud of that fact, but I guess this is where the death of sin within me comes about {Romans 6: 6-11}.  So, are we the ones who are to condemn those who speak wrong of others?  No.we're not in the judgement business.  I'm not that guy. 

33“Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. 34b“Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35“A good man out of the good treasure 7of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36“But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37“For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
Matthew 12: 33 - 37 NKJV

Once again the words of Jesus speak to what we ourselves say.  Brood of vipers?  Obviously, Jesus took the words which those around Him spoke pretty damn seriously.  However, what is the context of these words of Jesus?  Well, just before this we see the Pharisees questioning Him as to what authority He had to cast out demons.  In fact they went so far as to claim that Jesus cast out demons by the power of beelzebub, the ruler of demons.  I believe that it is these Jewish Pharisees which Jesus is refering to as a brood of vipers.  Now, that doesn't mean that we who speak ill of others are off the hook, only that Jesus does not think we are a brood of vipers.  I need rmind myself every now and then of how it is that I am supposed to look upon those who speak badly of others.  That is, that we are no longer to regard anyone acording to the flesh {2 Corinthians 5:16}.  In simple terms, don't look at someone who talks badly of others and instill in your heart that they are a bad person.  They are just like us, although they might not realize it at the time.  We don't own the rights to be called saved.  That same person we admonish for their behavior is that same person created in Gods own image as we are.  THAT is the christian perspective of handling gossips which I spoke of earlier.  Not out of condemnation or revenge, but of understanding.  That understanding that we ourselves are no different from those around us.  The knowing that it is but by the love of our heavenly Father that we are who we are.  That person who indulges in gossip may not realize who they truly are in Gods eyes.  The realization that it is Christ Jesus who dwells in us {Galations 2:20}.  Knowing this, how good do you feel in condemning others?  Good, my job is done. 

4You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than dhe who is in the world. 5They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
1 John 4: 4 - 6 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: