Sunday, August 25, 2019

Language Barrier



9He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.10He who loves his brother abides in the light, and othere is no cause for stumbling in him. 11But he who hates his brother is in darkness and qwalks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
1 John 2: 9 - 11 NKJV

The other day I watched the interaction between a policeman and a man who was covered in, shall we say, yesterdays dinner.  Well, this man proceeded to take a step towards the officer to explain the case for his defense and that was all it took.  Instantly, the officer put up his hand while shouting "DON'T F@CKIN COME NEAR ME!"  Yeah, I was taken aback too.  That is, until I realized the gravity of the situation.  The man the officer was dealing with was a walking bio hazzard, and I'm sure that he had no intention of getting too close to him.  Then I realized something else entirely, responding to this homeless man in this way may have been the only way to get his point across.  Indeed, there are some people out there who respond only to abusive language.  Be it a history of abuse themselves or not, some simply only respond to harsh words.  I began to think of this in terms of our own christian perspective as well.  What words are we as christians more likely to respond to?  Holy?  Foregiveness?  Fire and brimstone?  Make no mistake about it, the words we hear can definately shape our how it is that we view things.  Take our view of Father God, for example.  I was brought up in a belief that Jesus died for my sins, but I was still expected to pray for the Lords forgiveness each day.  What's with that?  Did not Jesus cry out on the cross "It is finished?" {John 19: 28-30}  When He did all of our iniquities died with Him...done!  Yet we continue to speak to the fact that forgiveness still needs to be had by we christians.  What would your percepption be of someone who claimed that they did something but didn't?  Yeah, many would no longer trust in him for much. 

11When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12For lnow we see in a mirror, dimly, but then mface to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
1 Corinthians 13: 11 - 12 NKJV

One of the reasons why I struggled with seeing Christ in me was exactly because of words I had heard, or never heard.  I cannot recall any sunday sermon which spoke to me of the indwelling Spirit of Jesus.  This is sad, really.  In my heart I know the freedom which I have received in my realization of Christ in me.  I am now confident in His presence in me.  I know that He has wiped away my sins, never to rise again.  For I am now dead to sin {Romans 8:6-11}.  Why would I need to seek forgiveness for something that has already been accomplished?  Why would I need to "be more like Jesus" when I already am?  Sadly, the institutional church is not into proclaiming these words.  No, we would rather speak words such as sin and punishment to those seeking a forgiving God.  Tell me how that works for you.  Every once in awhile I will come across a article bemoaning the fact that our churches are bleeding numbers in a large scale.  Ask me and I will tell you why I think this is happening, but I think most people can figure it out.  Sitting in a church each week only to have some pulpit pounder tell me how sinful I am isn't my idea of a forgiving God.  I can totally understand how some see God not as forgivng but as punishing of those who transgress His rules.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  We are told that God...is Love {1 John 4:8}.  Why would God save us just in order to keep us chained to a cycle of forgiveness and condemnation?  Would you follow such a God?  I would not blame you if you didn't.  I have a few words for those who are interested.  Love...forgiveness...freedom.  If you would rather embrace a God who loves than a God who fits a church agenda, invite Him into your heart.  I've never known Him to turn down such a invitation. 

~Scott~


No comments: