Saturday, August 10, 2019

Where Hope Goes To Die



Men, all this stuff you hear about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of bullshit. Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting and clash of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big-league ball players and the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. That's why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. The very thought of losing is hateful to Americans. Battle is the most significant competition in which a man can indulge. It brings out all that is best and it removes all that is base.
~ General George S Patton ~ 5 June, 1944

I've been hearing a lot lately of how this generation which we as Americans are in may be facing some of the most difficult challanges ever.  Really?  First off, I get it.  I get that you Millenials are a bit afraid of the world around you whenever something happens that you cannot control.  We've all been there.  You say that Donald Trump is going to destroy this country?  Yeah, I said the same thing about Jimmy Carter back in the day.  The funny thing is, the end of the world never did come.  I'm no prophet, but I believe that most of the doom and gloom I've been hearing from others will soon pass away.  It always does.  From my christian perspective, I am assured that God never purposed for us to live in a world devoid of trial and torment.  If that were the case what need would we have for Him?  Not only do I believe that God delights in helping His children, but that His own heart is glad whenever one of His creation places their trust in Him.  Whenever we do this, we are trusting in His will for us completely.  That, my friends faith in its simplest form.  This is why I believe that whatever scourge our nation may be facing, that we always have hope. 
Whenever I hear someone talk of the trials faced by this younger generation I just want to shake them and show them a history book.  That is, a history book not written by some liberal college professor with a anti American axe to grind.  In my generation, we never cried for a "safe space" to escape lifes challanges.  No, we had no choice but to face them head on.  I would bet that the recent rash of violent mass shootings is not something which you can blame on my generation.  We didn't handle our differences that way.  I remember a day when if you had a difference with someone you either talked your way out of it or a fight would often ensue.  Yes, I've been involved in my share of these.  These challenges I faced did nothing to keep me down but everything to give me the hope to go on.

4just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before bHim. In love 5He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, 6to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
Ephesians 1: 4 - 6 KJV

Not many people really have come to know fully the sacrafices of those whom we've bestowed the title of "The greatest generation."  It is this generation of Americans that grew up in the shadow of such events as the end of the first world war, the great depression and world war two.  While even one event such as that which they faced might send todays millenials scurrying for their safe spaces, this generation of Americans shouldered them all.  My own parents were among those who survived those days of darkness when it indeed seemed as if hope had died.  Many people don't know the importance of October 24, 1929.  Black Thursday, as it became known, was the begining of a 90% decline in the stock market.  Along with it came a economic depression the likes which nobody had ever seen before.  This was no recession...this was a full blown depression.  Millions were out of work, thousands more depended on soup kitchens for their daily meals.  To many, hope had died.  Well, America as we know it was bruised but did not falter.  America may have endured this great depression, but soon war clouds were forming across the world.  What began in Europe soon escalated into the pacific as two empires threw the world into global conflict.  For our part, world war two came to our shores on December 7th, 1941 with Japans attack on Pearl Harbor.  This "Day of infamy" threw the United States into another world war.  I'm not sure how many of todays millenials could handle this one two punch of back to back world events, but we were in it once again.  Still, hope was not dead.   Four years later, in the waters of Tokyo bay, world war two officially ended as Japan signed the terms of surrender.  Our greatest generation once again had endured. 
I once knew a elderly lady named Mildred who lived in a downstairs apartment in my building.  While I knew of the stories of our nations history, I knew nothing of the personal sacrafices of many who endured it.  Mildred almost never threw away anything of value.  In her aprtment she kept a supply of canned goods as well as money hidden away.  I asked her once why it was that she kept so many things.  She told me something that stuck with me..."I never did like the soup kitchens."  We can talk all we want about the stories of our history, Mildred lived it.

~Scott~


No comments: