Friday, April 3, 2020

A Sober Reminder



Because he has set his love upon me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known my name.
Psalm 91: 14 NKJV

One of my mothers favorite scriptures was found in Psalm 91.  She turned to it often in times of trouble, and I quoted from it at her memorial.  The funny thing is, about the only time she read it was in those times of her life when she felt that she needed the Lords comfort.  No doubt about it, when the wolf is at the door, many a Christian will turn to this scripture as well.  It's how we've been taught from a young age.  The bible is there to not only comfort us in our time of need, but also to guide us through life.  We see as Gods promise any scripture which speaks to our heart in our current situation.  However, is it really His divine promise to protect His children?  I believe that Gods intent is always for our good {Genesis 50:20}.  But, is His promise to always protect us?  Let me put it this way, is Gods promise to always protect us, or to never leave us? {John 14:16, Galatians 2:20}.  Examples for both can be found in scripture, but are both really promises from God?  I believe that at least one of these scriptures is a foundation of our relationship with Him.  That being His promise to never leave us.  I know that, were my mother still with us, that she would present a interesting discussion as to how Psalm 91 is indeed Gods promise to always protect us.  Of course, I would have to disagree.  I can already hear the nay Sayers lining up to say just how wrong I am in my thinking.  I get it.  For a long time, I too believed that God was my shield and my protection.  Don't get me wrong, God does look out for us.  His first thoughts are always for His children.  But is it His promise to defend us from any and all harm.  If you trust in this, then you've lost me.  How many Christians who believed it was the Lords promise to always protect them have died from the virus that is ravaging our country?  If I held so dearly to the belief that God would always protect me, the first thing I would do when things went south would be to blame God for breaking His promise to me.  In fact, this is what all too many believers do in times of trouble.  "God...why didn't you protect me?"  I'll tell you this, God may have allowed events to impact your life, but He NEVER left you.  While you walked through the fire, He was there with you through it all.  The apostle Paul assures us of this truth in Galatians {Galatians 2:20}.  It is Christ Jesus who lives through us and will never leave us.

"But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.
Genesis 50: 20 NKJV

Was it Gods desire to always protect Joseph?  Well, if it was then his story might have played out a different way.  As it was, God used Josephs situation for His purpose, for the greater good.  As my mom lay in a nursing home, I prayed daily that God would heal and restore her.  This went on for more than a few years.  The morning after she passed away, I could have spit at God I was so angry with Him.  Why had he not honored my prayers?  Why was He punishing me?  Then it hit me...my mother was no longer in pain.  She was now in peace with Christ.  How could I be angry with that?  When I look back on it, my prayers were kind of on the selfish side.  Gods intent, so I felt, should be to answer my prayer and heal my mom.  Well, as Joseph found out, God doesn't always work things out the way we'd like.  He does, however, work things out the way He intends to.  Was God punishing me?  Not at all.  He was using my situation to speak to me.  That message was, and still is, that it's not all about me.  We've been taught that we are good little Christians when we pray for those in need.  In fact, there are millions of so called "prayer warriors" around the world.  But, what should our prayers be?  See, God knows already the thoughts of our hearts, so He knows what we're about to pray for.  What if our prayers were as simple as this...Lord, let them see you?  The thing is, prayer is a extremely personal matter between ourselves and God.  Did Jesus pray?  The scripture tells us that He did.  However I see those times in Jesus's life as His conversations with the Father and not prayer as we know it.  I've been asked to pray for those who are affected by the COVID19 virus, and I've wondered how to approach a prayer like that.  However, last night I managed to pray for those who are suffering.  Lord, what is it that you are trying to show us through this?

He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will."
Matthew 26: 39 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: