Saturday, April 18, 2020

Seeing Jesus In A Pandemic



That which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.
1 John 1: 3 NKJV

I'm sure that by now many of us have learned what it feels like to be isolated.  Throughout the country, individuals and families have been forced with the new reality of remaining at home.  Gone are the days when we could go out to eat or to grab a cup of coffee on a whim.  Those freedoms, it seems, have been taken from us if only temporarily.  I will tell you that the most difficult part of this national lockdown is not being able to see people.  Not being able to interact with others.  It is said that we humans are social creatures, and I agree with that 100%.  Along with some major changes to my schedule, I've had to learn to live in a new reality.  Of course, I am of the opinion that this is just temporary.  Then again, I've always been a optimist.  The other day I my very first doctor appointment via video conference.  Although that was cool in itself, I missed being able to meet with him.  I hear stories of this everywhere I go these days.  People missing their neighbors.  What I have found interesting is how churches have adapted to these changing times.  There are many local congregations which have switched to video services and groups in place of those which we once knew.  I get it.  For my part, my fellowshipping with my friends has also been relegated to video and phone meetings.  Yes, I miss my friends, but I know that we will meet again soon.  On the radio the other day I overheard a pastor bemoaning the fact that Jesus was somehow knocking at the door of our empty churches and wondering where we were.  Now, if Jesus were in fact some visitor from out of town, I might expect Him to wonder where everyone was.  However, Jesus knows all too well where we are, AND He is right here in the middle of it with us.  Whenever I hear some pastor speak to the fact that we are somehow separated from Jesus I cringe.  Not only is this a false narrative pushed by church theology, it simply isn't true.  Paul assures us of this in Galatians {Galatians 2:20}.  We need never worry that Jesus is far from us, as He is always in us.  One thing I noticed about the current situation in our country is that more than a few people put far too much emphasis on the physical images of the church and Jesus that they do on who He really is.  I will say that Jesus IS NOT identified with any brick and stone church building.  You may feel closer to Him when you enter there, but in reality He has never left you.  Whether we are in a church or not, Jesus is the same as He has been from the beginning {Hebrews 13:8}.

Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.  So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44 - 47 NKJV

I recall a conversation I had with a friend of mine some time ago on the popularity of the early church of the followers of Jesus we see in Acts 2.  These people communed together, shared meals together and overall looked out for one another.  What a wonderful thing it would be, I commented, if the churches we know today were like that of the early church of Jesus.  His response made me think, but I agreed that he was right.  In order for us to experience the fellowship of that early church, we would need a radical change in our own society.  See, we're not used to devoting so much of our own lives to others around us.  Each of us, on a normal day, have some pretty hectic schedules which we follow.  From jobs to school to the chores of life, all too often we get caught up in our activities.  What makes you think that we could ever resemble what the early church shared?  Now, I'm not saying that it's impossible, just pretty unlikely.  I think that what this lockdown has taught us is how to cope with being together with those around us.  Although this is pretty much on the family level, we've now been forced to immerse ourselves in this new reality.  I heard the story the other day of a man who had focused himself so much on his career that he sacrificed his relationship with his own son.  That is, until he was forced to remain at home because he was furloughed from his work.  Suddenly, he was faced with a relationship he had not shared in years.  Ultimately, father and son became closer than they had ever been and are now making up for lost time.  I have also heard stories of those who have come face to face with Jesus for the very first time.  Our own relationship with Him might resemble that of the career oriented father at times.  We have our lives and there are days where Jesus is merely a passing thought.  I've been there.  One thing we can always be assured of, Jesus is always there for us no matter what.  He experiences each and every moment of our lives just as we do.  There is nothing we will ever do that He is not a intimate part of.  That...is Christ Jesus in you.

~Scott~

No comments: