Sunday, April 26, 2020

The House Jesus Built



But Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.
Hebrews 3: 6 NKJV

There are those among in the Christian faith who continue to see the church building as one of the most fundamental icons of our belief.  It is Gods house, and we must gather in Gods house to worship Him.  I get it.  However, where does that leave me?  See, I have not stepped foot into a church service since 2011.  Am I now a non believer?  Is God somehow seeking to punish me for my ignorance?  Well, some would hold to that belief all day long.  Those would be the Christians who cling to the old covenant belief that this God we worship is a jealous and unforgiving God to those who do not tow the line of Christian teachings.  Believe me, I have been in the company of far too many old covenant believers than I can count.  My first impression when I encounter someone such as this is frustration.  Frustration that I have somehow been tossed aside by God.  See, that is what they will tell me.  That if I disagree with their old covenant belief that I have somehow turned away from who God really is.  So, some time ago I asked myself, who is God?  Who is this creator who loved me enough to spare me from myself?  Would it be in Gods nature to send His Son to die for me only to be angry with me because I don't follow one mans belief?  I'm thinking not.  But, how did I arrive at this conclusion?  Simple, I found the one true nature of God.  The nature of God that far too many believers fail to see is that God...is Love {1 John 4:8}.  So, what does all of this have to do with our mistaken belief that the church is the be all end all of our faith?  Plenty.  First off, even the apostle Luke recognized this.  God does not live in temples built by human hands {Acts 17:25}.  Indeed, this entire idea of "Gods house" has always been about a idea that we have about our local church.  We're the ones who see the building as Gods house.  We're the ones who have turned gatherings of fellowship in Him into dog and pony show productions.  Look at many of the splendid church buildings around the world, would a humble and meek Jesus desire to live His life there?  No, for these ornate Christian castles are not the true home of Christ Jesus.  For His true home is closer to Gods children than they may ever know.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galatians 2: 20 NKJV

That true house of Jesus, that place where He now resides has never been in some ornate temple.  Jesus is not impressed with all of the trappings of such places.  These are mere possessions, and Jesus is so much more than that.  He tells us to not store up for ourselves treasures on earth {Matthew 6:19}.  Jesus knows the true treasure of our hearts.  It all begins, and ends, with Jesus.  The apostle Paul also reminds us of the true home of Jesus in Galatians.  Paul recognized that it was Jesus who lived in Him.  The man Paul was dead, crucified beside Jesus on that cross.  What remains is Jesus in us.  Yes, you may have conflicting beliefs on this truth, I did as well.  How could I be dead if I don't feel as if I am?  I get it.  Paul also lays out for us in Romans what he tells us in Galatians {Romans 6:8}.  Jesus is not living in some wonderfully decorated building.  No, Jesus lives in me!  This truth of Christ is one that has been difficult to fathom for many Christians.  After hearing many years of church teaching, I understand why it may be difficult for someone to accept the idea that Jesus could live inside someone as sinful as myself.  The trouble with the sin argument is that we're also told that we, as followers of Jesus, are now DEAD to sin {Romans 6:11}.  Jesus tackled the sin issue on the cross.  He put it to death.  When we come before the Father in a vain attempt to confess our own sins, Gods first response may well be, "What sin?"  I believe that the sin issue is the number one roadblock in the way of believers seeing Christ Jesus in them.  Once we come to terms with the idea that Jesus has done away with sin forever, we can began to see Jesus in the house that Jesus built.

Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  For he who has died has been freed from sin.  Now, if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  Likewise you also, reckon to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: