Friday, June 19, 2020

Beleiving



Who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness - by whose stripes you were healed,
1 Peter 2: 24 NKJV

Recently, a few friends of mine entered into a discussion of why it is that they believe in Jesus.  Indeed, I've had this very same discussion with a good number of people I've met.  It seems that whenever someone finds out that I'm a Christian, they immediately wonder why.  Why is that?  I mean, Christianity has been around for centuries in one form or another, yet it continues to draw questions as to why people believe.  So, I decided to get that big question out of the way before I continue.  Why do I believe?  Why do I believe in a system that continues to preach our unworthiness?  Why is it that I believe in a doctrine which preaches that I am separate from my creator?  My simple response is that I trust and believe in God and not in man.  It's not God who set up the doctrine by which all too many pastors preach of every Sunday.  It's not God who instituted the traditions which are followed in the church to this day.  No, this is our own fault.  I believe in God who created me from the dust of the ground {Genesis 2:7}.  I believe in a Father who loved me enough to save me from the man I once was {Romans 6:6-7}.  I also believe in the peace which I have found in union with Christ Jesus {Galatians 2:20}.  Why is this important to me?  Well, because most of the people I talk to about their belief in God usually fall into two categories.  You have those who believe in God because they fear the alternative.  That is, they fear what God may do if they do not believe in Him.  Believing in God is a better alternative than a eternity in hell it seems.  As silly as this sounds, there are believers such as this out there among us.  The next category is based upon fear as well.  These are the believers who continue to believe in the institutional church version of God for fear that if they don't, that God will not bless them abundantly.  This was a big portion of my belief in God when I was in church.  I was desperate for Gods approval and definitely wanted Him to keep blessing me, so I towed the line.  Of course, knowing what I know now, I know that my trust in God is not based upon the fear of what God could do, but on what He has done for me.  I love Him because He first loved me {1 John 4:19}.  I also believe  that it is not God who instills fear within us so that we will follow Him, for in God there is no fear {1 John 4:18}.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment.  But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.  We love Him because He first loved us.
1 John 4: 18 - 19 NKJV

So, if you believe in God simply out of fear of what He might do are you doing wrong?  Well, to answer that question I would definitely say that recognizing that God exists is a step in the right direction.  But I will ask you a question, how is it that you will know what it is that God will do if you do not believe?  Has He told you that you better fear Him?  I highly doubt that.  The reason I ask this is because I was once where many church believers are today.  I have sat in those very same pews worrying if I was doing enough to make God happy so He would bless me.  It wasn't God who told me this, but the man in the pulpit.  That's right, most of my early belief in God was tied to what I learned in church on Sunday.  I learned that God loves and blesses the one who gives to and serves the church.  This was the benchmark I was shooting for.  In order for God to bless me, I had to perform in the right way.  Is this true belief in God?  Not in my book.  Consider what the apostle Paul tells us about our own salvation, that it is a gift from the Lord and not something we earn ourselves {Ephesians 2:8-9}.  Salvation has never been a thing to be bought, traded or sold.  What about those who follow God out of fear of his wrath?  That belief that God, out of His love for us, would bring about suffering upon us until we got back into line.  The belief that God has a reservation in hell for those who have never trusted in Him.  Once again, man made teachings have clouded our view of who God truly is.  It has never been the Lords desire to compel or punish us into believing  in Him.  But, it has been mans plan to use this false view of God to keep the flock in line.  I am reminded of our Fathers true nature, as told to us by the apostle John.  God...is love {1 John 4:8}.  So, why do you believe?

Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side.  Do not be unbelieving, but believing."  And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"  Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed.  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
John 20: 27 - 29 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: