Sunday, June 14, 2020

Who Is God To You?



They are of the world.  Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them.  We are of God.  He who knows God hears us; He who is not of God does not hear us.  By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
1 John 4: 5 - 6 NKJV

It has long been a debate among Christians inn recent years that the churches we grew up in have become….too strict.  Too strict in their teachings.  Too strict in their interpretations of the word.  I was reminded of this this past week by a coworker who let it be known to me that he and his family were leaving the church they had attended for many years.  The reason, as he told me, was that he saw his church as "Stuck in their old ways."  This was one I hadn't heard in awhile, but have heard from others before.  The view that somehow, the church has lost touch with the people because of its adherence to the scriptures of old.  Not only that, but in its teachings of "The old ways."  Somehow, we have this idea that the church should evolve with the times in order to keep the congregation interested and engaged.  The first indication I had of this was in my former church where the head pastor made a grand entrance one Sunday morning as he rode down the aisle on a motorcycle.  He had the congregations attention for sure, if not for a brief time.  It wasn't long, however, before the grumblings of boredom began once more.  Now, we've all heard the hundreds of jokes about boring sermons and falling asleep in church.  Believe me, I've been there more than a few times.  As I sit here this morning, the very thought of once again sitting through another sermon makes me cringe.  I'm the type of guy who would rather have the padre cut to the chase and tell me what I need to know so that I can get home in time for my football game.  Less is more.  So, in order for our churches keeping the flock interested in the old and stale sermons of old, we've come up with more than a few gimmicks to sell the message.  I suppose that if it works for you, keep doing it.  As for me, I can usually tell when a pastor is sugar coating another potentially long, boring lecture on the way I need to behave in order to have favor with God.  Of course, these teachings butt heads with many people who enjoy life in this day and age.  The obedience and adherence message of the scriptures is usually forgotten within the first minutes after leaving church on Sunday morning.  It's here where real life begins.

"God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.  Nor is He worshipped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things."
Acts 17: 24 - 25 NKJV

The first question I would ask someone who was considering leaving the church is, "Who is God to you?"  That is, what is their own view of God?  Believe it or not, this is a key question.  The way we view God also has a big impact on how we interpret His word.  When I walked out of the church I had attended for so many years for the last time, I saw God as one who was only present to Lord over me when I failed.  For this was the message I had heard from that pulpit for so many years.  I believe that I'm not alone in my view of the mainstream church.  It turns out that I had a mistaken view of God.  God has never been out of touch with His children.  On the contrary, it has always been His desire that we would be one with Him.  This was reflected in the prayer of Jesus in the garden {John 17:21}.  When I began to see myself as more of a reflection of God who created me, my relationship with Him changed {Genesis 2:7}.  Suddenly, God was not the distant overseer I had been taught that He was.  I believe that mans message, the churches message over the years, has done many a believer a disservice.  So, I can understand when someone becomes discouraged enough to get up and leave a congregation they've spent years attending.  The funny thing about those who are leaving the church, it's not the people of the church that they are walking away from.  On the contrary, many people continue those friendships they've developed while in the church even after they're gone.  This, more than anything, should be screaming to us that it's not the building or the people, but the message of God the church preaches.  As I have said, that message does not reflect who God truly is.  For we, as His creation, are that resemblance of Him.  We...are the Spirit of Christ Jesus who lives in us {Galatians 2:20}.  Now, as for the subject of the outdated teachings of the modern church, that will have to wait for my next writing.  What advice would I give to someone wanting to walk away from the church?  Who is God to you?

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
2 Corinthians 5: 17 NKJV

~Scott~


No comments: